Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-21-2014, 09:59 AM   #1 
Valentino14

I hate people.

As some of you know, I work at petco. Tell me- what kind of SICK person would put to male bettas in the same teeny tiny cup, just to watch them fight before walking away?
That's exactly what a few customers did last week when the aquatics guy was busy at the other end of the department.
Luckily, neither fish died. But both were torn up pretty bad. They are in hospital tanks, slowly recovering.
I was going to take one home, but I simply don't have the room for another fish.
This was first class animal abuse. Like forcing dogs to fight. I can't believe someone would do this. The store is trying to come up with ways to prevent this from happening again, but so far we haven't come up with anything.
Valentino14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:17 AM   #2 
Panda779900

Angry

the poor guys!
How are they now?
Panda779900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:01 AM   #3 
haveyouhadyourteayet

Put the bettas closer to the rest of the fish? And point some security cameras that way.
OR
Hire a big muscley guy to to be the 'Betta Bouncer.' He needs to wear all black, and dark sunglasses no matter what time of day, and stand near the bettas with his arms crossed looking big and muscley and scowley.
haveyouhadyourteayet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:04 PM   #4 
1RainbowBetta

Did anyone see which customers did it? They should be banned from coming back to the store!
As for how to prevent it from happening again... I don't know. Reminding employees to be especially watchful when people are looking at the bettas? Security cameras that customers can see so they know they can be recorded? Putting something (clear plastic or wire?) over the bettas that people can see through but can't actually pick up the cups unless an employee removes it first?
1RainbowBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:04 PM   #5 
RedneckPoodle

At least they left the fish with you, I've heard of people purchasing them and throwing them in a toilet together expecting to see some kinda boxing match and then flushing them down when they didn't meet expectations.

Had an issue earlier this week posting in a facebook group for pet owners, people were very upset that I was seeing if anyone had any fish to re-home, I'm only supposed to go to the pet store when I need fish, they're so cheap how could I even think of asking if anyone had any un-wanted ones? yet any other pet you're a piece of S**t if you purchase and don't rescue. There is great disregard for quality of life when it comes to fish and other small pets.
RedneckPoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:10 PM   #6 
TerriGtoo

Monitoring of bettas at Petco

Should be easy if there really was an effort made. Wall shelves could be put up high enough so that the bettas could be seen easily, but also so that some idiot trying to put them in the same cup would be seen doing this.

Along with the wall shelf idea.....they could be put up along a wall near to the customer service desk or if checkouts are near a wall.

I've never seen this happen but know it does. I just dread checking out the bettas at these kinds of store. Hoping that I never see this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino14 View Post
As some of you know, I work at petco. Tell .
This was first class animal abuse. Like forcing dogs to fight. I can't believe someone would do this. The store is trying to come up with ways to prevent this from happening again, but so far we haven't come up with anything.
TerriGtoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 04:34 PM   #7 
NeptunesMom

Welcome to the wonderful world of pet stores.. I've worked at your competitor for almost 3 years now, and it happens quite frequently. People are stupid. That's why I surround myself with animals.

If you move the Betta fish closer to the cashier it'll cut down on it. At my store (until recently) during spring, summer and fall the Betta were right by the registers. It never happened then, but as soon as we moved them to the back to get them away from the door... ugh. Unfortunately, I know that your store layout is designed by corporate. But, it's an idea you can ask your manager to pitch to their higher ups.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:30 PM   #8 
sainthogan

In a Petco that I sometimes go to when I go to the city, had a male put in with a female. The fish guy was very upset when I pointed it out to him.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:19 PM   #9 
lovee1795

Today I was at PetSmart and looking through the bettas as always, and I saw this black form in the back of the shelf and was like "No way, it couldn't be." But sure enough, there was a dead, dried out betta just sitting on the shelf. I looked through the cups to try to find an empty one, but there weren't any around. I showed the one worker and she freaked out, obviously had no idea about it. I'm wondering now if someone did this to the poor fish.
lovee1795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:40 PM   #10 
Dakieda

At the petco here, all the tanks and cages have locks on them. I would get a large case that has a lock on it and lock the betta inside. When a customer wants to look at them, they have to get an employee.
Dakieda is offline   Reply With Quote