Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-25-2014, 04:31 PM   #1 
Ladykaye

Help! My fish can't swim down and floats to the top..

I've had my best fish for one week and the minute I transfered him from his plastic cup to his tank, he began to float and not swim. He still struggles to swim down and to stay down. I've tried giving him pea and Epsom salt baths. If it is swim bladder disease then I'm not really sure what else I can do to wait it out.. I do water changes every other day since he's been stressed out. 20% water changes. What else can I do? I bought a second beta fish the same day and he isn't having any problems with the water so I know my water is beta friendly. The share the same tank but naturally there is a separator.

I feed him about 3 pellets daily too.
Ladykaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:36 PM   #2 
Ladykaye

http://postimg.org/image/9i3o8r5on
Ladykaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:31 PM   #3 
aselvarial

One of mine had this problem too when I got him. Fast him. It took about a week of no food for it to solve itself. I also put ep salt in his tank for about 4 days and that helped, though if you share a tank might not be so good. I'd try fasting him for a week first. If you can make him a spot to rest, either a betta leaf hammock, or the floating caves (mine loved the diy craft mesh cave the best), it will help him be able to hide when he can't get down. Also, that tank seems really small for two bettas. If you can, you might want to separate them into different tanks, that way it is easier to treat the SBD one.
aselvarial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:38 PM   #4 
bettafishfins

I suggest getting them each a heated 2.5 gallon from petsmart. Petsmart sells a topfin 2.5 gallon that is FABULOUS and only $12, and also I find that the marina betta heater works great with this and only costs $12. I bet your fish would LOVE it!
bettafishfins is offline   Reply With Quote