Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-22-2014, 06:49 AM   #11 
Polkadot

Disgusting.
Polkadot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:21 AM   #12 
NozzALa

I work the night shift at Walmart, and the guy working pets came up to me a few days ago and told me someone put two bettas in one cup. I had to go over there, grab one of the Betta waters, and separate them. One of them was just kind of sitting there, and the other was furiously attacking him. Luckily I got them separated and they were both alive. Added stress coat to their cups and topped the water off in the other cups.

People are dicks.
NozzALa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:35 PM   #13 
Tree

That is just sad. =( There is one petsmart that I go to that has the bettas at the beginning of the store and you can see them clearly near the cashiers. So many people cannot get away with this problem.

I wonder if petsmart/petco could figure out a way to lock up the bettas some how. Like the video games at the store. You'd have to ask for an employ to get a betta out. And place all of the bettas in front, not in the back? Or they could start putting them in the larger tanks like the other fish and divide the tanks?
Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:42 PM   #14 
Superach

put up a sign saying that the store is under video survelience and a sign saying not to get the bettas to fight, doubt anyone would risk it after that!! so gross I effing hate humans!!!
Superach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:06 PM   #15 
Valentino14

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveyouhadyourteayet View Post
Put the bettas closer to the rest of the fish? And point some security cameras that way.
OR
Hire a big muscley guy to to be the 'Betta Bouncer.' He needs to wear all black, and dark sunglasses no matter what time of day, and stand near the bettas with his arms crossed looking big and muscley and scowley.
The department is huge, covering the entire back of the store. Bettas are on both ends in two separate sections. There's not really a way to make sure someone is close by 24/7- unless we really did hire a bouncer lol!!
Valentino14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:14 PM   #16 
Valentino14

Many of you are suggesting locking them in some sort of case...
The problem is that the entire store would have to be rearranged, and the cage would be expensive. Corporate tells the store how to do something, and that is how it happens. End of story. I've only had this job for a month, so i'm not quite in the position to be telling them where to spend money on new stuff. I will be transferring to a different petco in the Summer.
Moving the fish closer to the cashiers is a good idea, but there really isn't any space and all of the betta advertising is in the back of the store too.

It's a very difficult situation all around
Old 03-23-2014, 11:54 AM   #17 
Tree

I understand. =) I've worked at petsmart for 5 years as a groomer (I don't work there any more self employed groomer now) and I know for a fact that petco and petsmart's corporate wouldn't care about the poor fish anyway. I just think having them in plane sight instead of hiding in the back would be much better but like you said you have very little space. I know that the fish care employes try to watch the fish the best they can too. I have a lot of friends that still work at petsmart and the try their best. <3 I hope this does not happen at a day to day bases.

Last edited by Tree; 03-23-2014 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-23-2014, 03:16 PM   #18 
Valentino14

Nooo it only happened three times in the last year
Old 03-23-2014, 03:41 PM   #19 
Tree

Oh good. =) Glad to hear that. =)
Old 03-23-2014, 04:16 PM   #20 
Artemis

About 2 weeks ago I was at PetCo and saw 2 females come in in the same bag. :O They got acclimated to the same cup and I hope they didn't kill each other. And today there was an EE male and CT female in the same tank with a bunch of GloFish. I wish I could have gotten her, I hope they both end up okay.

Move the bettas onto an end cap that can be seen by cashiers, that's what my store does.
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote