Betta Fish Forum banner

Little Leon and the Empty Tank(Heating,Tank Mate and Decor))

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Hadouken441 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone! I have a few concerns about the current state of my tank,and I have these three questions.

1) Would there be a point to getting a heater? My current 2gallon is holding a temperature of 75 and I am aware that optimum temp is between 78-80,but Leon the Betta is swimming happily,and doesn't appear to be slowing down.I was checking for temperature drops in the night and it does hold at 75.Possible options for a temporary heat source?

2) I don't have any plants. I haven't decided on live or silk plants,since I'm unsure if the benefits of having a live plant outweighs the negatives. What could I put in the tank now,time since I'm unsure when buying plants will be possible?

3) I thought about including a tank mate ,perhaps a zebra snail, to help out the tank and perhaps liven it up. Yet would that be healthy for the tank and snail?

I would appreciate all and any help on the subject!

((Leon would be thankful too!))

#2 ·
1... A heater is always beneficial. A 10 watt heater or a hydor mini 7.5 watt would both be good choices.
2.. I'm not sure what negatives your talking about.. live plants are pretty much totally positive aspects of a tank. Until you pick your plants you should at least have a cave for him to hide in.
3... Technically a 2 gallon isn't big enough for even the betta. Tank mates are ill advised. I wouldn't add a tank mate until you have at least 3 gallons if not 5 or more.

#3 ·
get a 10w heater, some live plants (bettas can get stuck in even the softest silk ones, a covering for the bowl (THEY CAN JUMP!!!!!) and I wouldn't do any tank mates in less than a 5g cycled tank

#4 ·
Thank you both! I have good rocks in the tank,a lid and I will get a heater asap. Im still thinking about the plants.Im concerned about parasites,I know they can be qurantined,yet...As for tank size,most agree 2g is a fair size for bettas but it is always debated.

#5 ·
2.5 gallons is the technical minimum but if you keep up with water changes there is no reason not to have a 2 gallon. An uncycled 2 gallon needs at least 3 water changes a week 2 of which should be 100%.

If your going to do live plants you need to get a filter and cycle your tank.. live plants and 100% water changes don't mix. If you get your plants from another hobbyist they will usually be very healthy and parasite free. Also if you look up mcgamer2000 on aquabid he sells very good quality plants.

If you need info on cycling I can talk you through a fish in safe cycle. If you want to cycle fishless you'll need a separate container to put your fish in.

#7 ·
Ok. The point of cycling is to establish the nitrogen cycle in your tank. This has a simplified overview of the process and how to cycle your tank:http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=34505

I will warn you fish in cycles are dangerous if not done right. You HAVE to do daily water changes and test every single day.. if you don't have time to do this than fish in cycling isn't for you. If you do it right no harm should come to your fish.

After you read over it feel free to ask me any questions... it can sometimes be a little confusing at first but once you get the hang of testing its a breeze.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.