Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-07-2010, 11:57 PM   #1 
Tragedy

First time Betta owner friend needs help

OK My friend needs some help. She lives on the other side of the planet otherwise I'd help her out xD

This is what she says:

He was looking really, really ill for a few days so I did a 100% water change. He perked up before starting to act sluggish again. So I fasted him for 2 days, then fed him, moved him to a room where the kitchen light wasn't constantly on him and did a 25% water change and he seems fine now. He also has what looks like a cut on his left side. Couldn't get a photo of it because it's behind his fin. His fins aren't as pretty as they used to be (See pics) and there seems to be white shiney spots on his gills and under his "chin" just below his labarinth.

Some info she didn't include:

He is in a 1 gallon bowl, but she's planning on buying a 15 gallon soon. Unheated. Unfiltered. She does a 25% water change every 2 days. She literally stole him from her brother because he was in disgusting water/conditions.

Here are the pictures:

When they first got him-

Now -

Any help for my friend would be appreciated (:
Tragedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:49 AM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

The water in a gallon container needs to be changed 100% twice a week.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:17 AM   #3 
Tragedy

I know dramaqueen, and I have told her this. The 20% thing is just what she does right now, at time of posting.

She's decided it's Columnaris and is out buying some medicine for it and salt. I told her to just treat with salt for right now but... -shrug- can't control what she does.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:03 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

No, you have no control over what she does. I know how you feel. I had a neighbor who refused to take care of her betta properly and no matter what I told her, she said she wasn't going to fool with him and he wasn't made of gold. I know you feel bad for the fish. It's very frustrating.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:27 PM   #5 
Tragedy

Extremely. She couldn't find the medicine she was looking for, though, so I'm pretty sure she is going to get some salt instead =) It really isn't that she doesn't care, she just wasn't expecting to have a pet fish all of a sudden so she didn't really read up on it or anything. Kind of like me and Bleud, lol. But she is planning on buying him a 25 gallon tank, which I know he will love =))
Old 02-08-2010, 11:53 PM   #6 
Kandee

Lol.

I am the person in question here.

And hon, I was looking for salt first. Don't worry about that. As I'm still unsure if it's Columnaris. I know it's dangerous to treat a fish for something they don't have and it could just as easily be a mixture of fin and body rot from him having such bad water quality. I'm thinking of kicking my goldfish that are currently in a 20L tank out and putting Zip (The betta) in there. It has filtration and would probably be alot nicer than the bowl he was put in.

I'm not going to treat for columnaris unless I'm 99% sure that's what it is. Seeing as there's no cottony appearance yet, I won't. It looks more like a cut/scratch to me than cottony stuff ON his scales. And after a full water change and regular water changes now he seems to be on his way to feeling alot better.

My brother is out getting aquarium salt right now so I hope all goes well from then on.

I'll let you know how it goes. :)
Kandee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:37 AM   #7 
Kandee

Ok so got the REAL Aquarium salt now.

Turns out the guy at the aquarium just down the road is a complete idiot and told me "Sea salt" would be the same thing. ._.

No wonder my little guy wasn't happy with me when I got back home from visiting a department pet store and getting the actual stuff.

I now have him in a 20L tank with an Eheim filter (one of the top of the range... It came out of my brother's 15 Gallon tank.. I put pantyhose over all of it and it's not creating much of a stream at all to keep him comfy)

He has a heater, I have a thermometre in the tank aswell. He has a few plants to hide behind if he wishes and it has a light above it and a lid. :)

He seems to be really happy with this 100% new water and is darting around the tank playing in the minimum water stream there is coming from the filter. He loves it. :)

He isn't hiding in the corner of the tank anymore just sitting at the top or anything. So I think he's feeling alot better. :D

Spoilt little boy. I might get him some freeze dried worms soon. Give him a little treat other than his pellets. :)

Also forgot to mention that he wouldn't flare while in the bowl (I think the reflections inside the bowl were warped and scared him alot.. And that is why he wouldn't move.)

Now he's flaring at his own reflection on the side of the tank. Kinda cute to watch. Saw a pretty blue and red crown tail at the pet store today but figured I won't buy another till I have him sorted out. He won't stop swimming now though! Hahaha.

Oh and the "cut" I thought it was.. I got a closer look and it seems to be a scale jutting out so he could have gotten injured when I tried netting him the first water change I did. I'm so proud of the little guy! I felt like giving up when nothing I did would work but he seems so happy now. :D

Last edited by dramaqueen; 02-09-2010 at 11:37 AM.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:17 AM   #8 
Romad
TFK Moderator

That's some great news. Glad to hear your little guy is doing much better. :)
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:08 AM   #9 
Kandee

Ergh. He just likes making a fool of me I think.

He's sitting at the bottom of the tank now refusing to come up.

Wait.. Now he's at the top again.

This fish is doing my head in!

He was just sitting at the bottom of the tank and not moving. Maybe the aquarium light being on was annoying him???
Old 02-10-2010, 12:26 AM   #10 
Kandee

I looked into it a little more.

Looks like when I thought he was still healthy he had the beginnings of tail rot if you can see in the first photos there is some black tips. I had no idea about what tail rot was or anything and he wasn't of my concern in those first couple of photos as he was still under my brother's care. :/