Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-09-2010, 07:14 PM   #1 
xxabc

Torn inside... How many bettas should I get??

I currently only have one 5gal tank (and truthfully, that's gonna be all i ever get until I move out!! What a shame, right?)
It's divided, with my two male bettas.

One of my bettas is a bit....aged. I'm worried I'll lose him within a year, or worse, earlier. The other however, is pretty new and I'm not too worried about him.

I'm not exactly in TROUBLE or anything, but i've been dying inside trying to think over "...Should I get get another betta and keep it divided??" or... "Should I let one betta get a 5gal all to himself??"

5gal-bettas are, in my opinion, gorgeous. (2.5gals themselves are not my type, which is why I divided a 5gal. i like the rectangular look ;) I really...really...really want a betta in a 5gal. But I want more than one!! And there is ABSOLUTELY. NO. PLACE to put another tank (*cries inside*...lol)

I'm just torn between these two choices...!! I just want some personal opinions. What would you do?

I'm also thinking of major-redoing the entire tank with new plants, more gravel, etc.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:53 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

Honestly I would take the divider out. Its just my personal preference but I only divide tanks where each fish will have at least 5 gallons of space to himself. Dividing a 5 gallon makes it a lot harder for the fish to hide from each other if they are stressed by their neighbors presence. JMO of course.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:01 PM   #3 
xxabc

Actually, they never notice each other. It's been really, really, REALLY good about that since I put it in. It's like they dont even know the other exists.

Oh, I should mention:
The divider is self made, with PLASTIC MESH (opaque). Not the clear-see through ones. No, thank you. Haha :)
Old 02-09-2010, 08:10 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

Even with the mesh sometimes they can see the others shadow when the light is just so.

Since I'm probably the only one who will say you shouldn't keep the divider lemme back it up :)http://www.aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php?AquTankName=&AquListBoxTank=Choose&A quTankLength=16&AquTankDepth=8AquTankHeight=10&AquListBoxFilter=Tetra+Whisper+10 I&AquTextFilterRate=10&AquListBoxFilter2=Choose&Aq uTextFilterRate2=N%2FA+&FormSubmit=Update&AquFilte rString=&AquListBoxChooser=Betta+[Male]+%28Betta+splendens%29&AquTextBoxQuantity=&AquText BoxRemoveQuantity=&AlreadySelected=200909300017%3A 2%3A%3A&FilterMode=Display+all+species&AqTempUnit= C&AqVolUnit=gUS&AqLengthUnit=inch&AqSortType=cname &FilterQuantity=2&AqJuvMode=&AqSpeciesWindowSize=s hort

This is your tank stocked with 2 bettas (I put in an arbitrary filter).. as you can see its 100% stocked. This leaves you no room for error. A general rule is you always want to understock.

Again this is all my opinion and reasons why I wouldn't get another betta.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:33 PM   #5 
Jupiter

I'd divide it! I'd divide all my tanks if I could. And bettas are so addictive, you'll probably end up with a new one.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:44 PM   #6 
Noko

I wouldn't get anymore bettas until you get another tank. I go by the rule of at least 3 gallons per fish in a divided tank. More is preferable though. Your bettas would like it better if they got a bigger tank I bet. I had one male betta in a 10 gallon tank (before he passed away), and trust me, he loved all the room. You will just have to fight the urge to get another betta.
Noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:04 PM   #7 
xxabc

1fish2fish - I totally see where you're getting at. They've been in their tank for a while now, the worst I've had with them and other bettas is...they see their reflection. Hahah :)

Jupiter - I knoooow i'll end up with another one! Sad truth. If I want another one, this house needs some major renovation. I know some great places where I could have a 5gal, or even 10gal tank. But not with a couch occupying it.

Noko - which is exactly why I want a 5gal to a betta himself. Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Yeah, I just love having two bettas. But... they need their own 5gal's! Who knows...

.Oh, and 1fish2fish, great great great website! Where'd you get it? Bookmarked and favorited.

Last edited by xxabc; 02-09-2010 at 09:08 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:09 PM   #8 
1fish2fish

It cropped up on my dog forum of all places. Its a great tool and the guy is constantly making it newer and better. It doesn't have every species or filter but it is a great starting reference.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:13 PM   #9 
xxabc

Wow. Dog forum. Seriously, of all places...haha, well no harm (if you want to disclude cashing out for a new aquarium hobby~)
Old 02-09-2010, 09:16 PM   #10 
1fish2fish

LOL.. it was actually in the "Other Pets" section so not so off the wall.