Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-09-2010, 11:31 PM   #1 
waffles

sick fish, please helpp

heyy, my betta waffles i've had about a year now and it wasn't until recently he's gotten sick. about two weeks ago i noticed he had a swollen belly and pop eye so i treated him with maracyn 2. the pop eye went away and he seemed to be getting better, but this past week i noticed the eye that had the pop eye is now cloudy, he still has a swollen belly and now he's showing signs of fin rot. i've been doing weekly water changes and testing the water and all of that seems fine. he's still relatively active and still eating so i hope that's a good sign. i don't want to treat him with the wrong thing, any suggestions? thankss
waffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 06:16 PM   #2 
kelly528

CONSULT FORM

Please fill this out to the best of your knowledge. It's okay if you've made a mistake in your betta care routine, just please answer all questions honestly so we can diagnose your fish before he gets any worse.

How big is the tank?

Is it uncycled or cycled?

How much water do you change?

How often do you change the water?

WATER STATS
Please try to answer these to the best of your ability. If you do not have a test kit, please bring a sample of tankwater to the nearest local pet store. They should test it for cheap, but most of the time free. Write the actual numbers down, don’t take ‘okay’, ‘low’ or ‘fine’ for an answer.

Temperature:

pH:

Ammonia:

Nitrite:

Nitrate:
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:00 PM   #3 
waffles

How big is the tank? 1 gal
Is it uncycled or cycled? uncycled
How much water do you change? 50%
How often do you change the water? 2 times a week
Temperature: 76 degrees
pH: 7.0
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: not sure
Nitrate: not sure

i use novaqua water conditioner and add aquarium salt too. i used to do 100% water changes once a week and changed to 50% 2 times a week for the past 2 weeks. hope this helps :/
Old 02-10-2010, 09:37 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

The water in a one gallon needs to be changed 2-3 times a week 100%.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:34 AM   #5 
kelly528

I think you will see a big improvement after a few weeks of water changes as per Dramaqueen said. Also, are you sure you are not overfeeding him? Fast him for a few days then feed him some frozen daphnia (or barring that a thawed frozen pea) and see if that helps.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:59 AM   #6 
waffles

i was afraid the 100% water changes would stress him out too much, but i'll definitely give it a try. i wish i had the space for a larger tank :( i thought possibly i was over feeding him, but for the past 2 weeks i cut him down to feeding him 2 or 3 times a week. i'll try everything out and see how it goes! thank you very much :)
Old 02-11-2010, 08:14 AM   #7 
kelly528

As long as you match the temperature and pH of the new water to that of the old water, cleanings shouldn't be a problem.

Also instead of cutting back days that you feed try cutting back how much you feed per day.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:05 AM   #8 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Yeah you should cut how much you feed per day instead of the days. I feed my males 3-4 pellets twice a day (once in the morning, once at night). I fast them on Saturdays. Your betta should get used to the water changes, I have one male that always gets very stressed out, but the others are perfectly fine. One of the males that I've had for almost 2 years will swim into the net for me. :) Just make sure before you net him or cup him to get all of the plants out so you have room to catch him the first try so you don't overly stress him out.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:07 AM   #9 
waffles

i tried feeding him a bit today, but he hasn't eaten anything. i've been consistently checking the water and did a water change. i've been noticing now he has absolutely no energy, he was active a few days ago but now all he does is swim to get air and then slowly sinks to the bottom without moving his fins and just sits. his breathing seems a bit labored as well. should i just keep with what i'm doing and wait it out? i'm not really sure at what point i should do something else, he looks miserable :(
Old 02-12-2010, 06:26 AM   #10 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Unless you can specifically diagnose what's wrong, the best you can do is keep him warm and put a nice soft leafy plant in the tank so he can rest at the surface and get air easily.

Put a little AQ salt in the water when you do your water changes. I would add just a little bc he's only in one gallon of water. Be sure it's completely dissolved before adding to the tank.

Good luck and I hope your boy gets better.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote