Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-10-2010, 08:16 AM   #1 
banisher

Enough Hiding Places?

Hey, I've had bettas in the past, but none in a while(I mostly do marine tanks now). I just set-up this tank because I missed having a tank in my room. I wanted something fairly low maintenance. After looking at an empty tank for about 2 weeks I got bored and bought a betta on a whim.

The goal is to keep the tank clean and simple looking, I hate visual noise. Although I also want to make sure there is enough hiding as well. Opinions?

In the tank now is:
-Black sand substrate (a real pain i have to vacuum it daily cuz the poos stick out like sore thumbs)
-Elite stingray 5
-bubble stone (only on during the day)
-Tetra 50W submersible heater(pre-set to 78 )
-fake stone and plants, all soft to the touch
-tiny Coralife light i had kicking around from an old pico-reef i had set-up at one point

Last edited by banisher; 02-10-2010 at 08:18 AM.
banisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:06 AM   #2 
Noko

Bettas don't need a bubbler, so if you really wanted to, you could bet rid of that.

I personally don't think there are enough hiding spots. There's nothing a betta could really hide in/ under. I got a bridge thing from Petsmart that is pretty small, but my bettas both enjoyed hiding inside of it.

What's with everyone having plants sticking to the side? I have never seen anything like that before I came onto this site.

Oh, you will probably need to take some panty hose (I heard some people use toilet paper) and run them along the plants. Both of them look sharp. If the panty hose rips, then it's too sharp for bettas.
Noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:18 AM   #3 
banisher

The bubbler is more for me, but the betta does seem to enjoy playing in the bubbles.

I like the idea of the bridge, one of my previous bettas died because it got stuck in the tinny hole in a clay flower pot, so i don't want that again.

As to why the plant it on the side, I really don't have a good answer. It came with a suction cup, so i just assumed, plus it helps to break up the bubbles, and hide some equipment.

I was concerned about the plants when i first saw them, but they are made from a soft rubber not plastic.I will however pull one out and test it like you said, although i will have to use tp cuz i don't own panty hose
Old 02-10-2010, 10:28 AM   #4 
Noko

The bridge was just big enough for my bettas to go inside and turn around.

I have seen a few people with plants on the side like that. None of my plants have ever come with suction cups, nor have I seen any plants with suctions cups in the store.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:49 AM   #5 
banisher

Maybe I don't understand what you mean by bridge, How did they go "inside" it?
Old 02-10-2010, 11:00 AM   #6 
Noko

The bridge is the one from petsmart, and it's 'hollow' inside. Here, I will post a link.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3202482
There is another one that is almost like it. I have a few of the decorations from petsmart. I mainly have caves from petsmart though. The caves work well too.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:08 AM   #7 
1fish2fish

I have the same bridge.. Damon loves it and so does my snail.. the snail sleeps in there during the day.. damon sleeps in there at night.

I'd say you need a lot more plants.. bettas love lots of plants. A general rule of thumb I use is if you can't see through the back wall of the tank.. you have enough plants ;)
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:09 AM   #8 
doggyhog

I think your tank looks fine!! I like the black sand. :)

The only thing you should worry about is the plant that is attached to the side of the tank. It looks a little sharp, but your the best judge of that. As for caves, you can get a terra cotta pot, then maybe put a little piece of sponge in the whole to keep your betta from getting stuck, or just put it upright, I did that for a few of mine and they love it!
Or, I think this little decoration would look great in your tank:

I couldn't find it on petsmart's website, but I KNOW they sell it there. :) It is the little lantern thing on the right side of the tank.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:18 AM   #9 
Noko

I have seen that decoration on their website! Now that I look at it in an actual tank, I might have to buy it. It would look good with some java fern all around it. I might have to go to petsmart again so I can get some more plants.

Freckles loved the little bridge. One day I couldn't find her, so I sat there starring at my tank, and all of a sudden she poped out from under the bridge..

I think all you need is another decoration. Maybe a plant.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:15 PM   #10 
banisher

I really would like to add some plants, but i don't like the look of the plastic ones. The two in my tank are just something i picked up when i grabbed the betta.

I Like the idea of trying to keep a "natural" theme for this tank. So, although that bridge looks amazing, i might try to find something else for this particular tank.

As for the plants, I would love to try real plants, but I haven't read up on them much. What sort of lights would be good, and what type of plants would stay small enough in my little 2.5?

As for the black sand, I love the look, and as such i have used it in a lot of my tanks. Seriously though i have to siphon off the poop daily or have these really ugly bright poops on it.