Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-23-2014, 11:36 AM   #1 
Tropical

Exclamation Moving!! I Need Ideas!!

I am going to be moving, and of course all my little babies need to be relocated with me. So my question is...the drive to my new place will be about 4 hours. (Bummer right...) I am rather worried about how I am actually supposed to move the fish from my 10 gallon tank. Right now I only have 6 fish in there, and I would like it to stay that way. The best idea I can come up with is to put them in a 5 gallon bucket, and polk holes in the lid. I feel like this will stress them out, but I don't know what else to do! Anyone ever done this before and have any suggestions? I would greatly appreciate any suggestions I can get!
Tropical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:03 PM   #2 
TheSailorette

This may sound far fetched but it worked for me so hear me out and don't think I'm nuts! I moved from California to Tennessee by car and I managed to keep my betta alive. I only had one fish so it wasn't as difficult as your 6 fish. But I got a 64oz Gatorade bottle. ( https://ozbo.com/media/g/33831CF.jpg ). I drilled little holes in the lid so I could let air in but not a lot of water out if it did fall over. But what I went after was basically a tall but big enough bottle for my fish to swim around. My betta was stuck in there for at least 4 to 5 days. not ideal but it was all I could do for him considering I was moving. But with the bottle being tall it gives your fish to go to the bottom where there is less turbulence while on the road! This is a big deal. Too much shaking and swishing can and will kill a fish. But the bottom of the bottle has less swishing motion that the top of it would. My betta hung out at the bottom of the bottle the entire time we were in the car. When it would stop he would come up and get air. And put the bottle in the center of the car. I placed mine between boxes right behind the center console of my car. My betta is still alive and still doing well and I think that long bottle is what did the trick. He made it all the way out here from California. I've had him for 2 years and been through it all with me. I hope that helps!
TheSailorette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:22 AM   #3 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

What type of fish are they?

Four hours really isn't all that long, considering fish are regularly shipped across the country and from overseas without issue. A bucket would work, bags would probably work as well.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:43 AM   #4 
TiffanyP

I moved 14 hours away with 4 of my boys and put mine in the cups they were in in the store and placed them in a padded/insulated box. They rode in the front seat (I drove alone) on top of my pillows for some padding and they made it here just fine. They weren't happy, but they made it :) Hope your journey is a smooth one!
TiffanyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:19 AM   #5 
Tolak

Prep & pack them as if you were shipping them, as you are shipping them. Four hours is pretty short term, fast them for a day, bag & put them in a styro or cooler to control temperature. Go slow on the acclimation at your destination if you aren't sure on the water parameters, let them settle in for a day before feeding, and enjoy the new place!
Tolak is online now   Reply With Quote