Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-10-2010, 12:41 PM   #1 
dramaqueen
Banned

Emergency!

I was just trying to change Fernando's water and I accidently knocked over his cup. The cup fell off the dresser, landed on the floor (carpet), split in half and poor Fernando was laying under my dresser! I'm afraid he could get an infection from laying on the carpet. It was only for about 30 seconds. Scared the daylights out of me. I'm still shaking! lol Should I add someting ot his water to prevent infection or should I leave him alone and just keep an eye on him?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:56 PM   #2 
bonfiliof

He should be ok unless you just recently used floor cleaner or some other detergent under your dresser.
bonfiliof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:09 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

I went ahead and put him in clean water with a little salt for now and I will keep an eye on him. What a dummy I am for putting his cup where I could knock it off the dresser! I'm normally more careful!
Old 02-10-2010, 01:25 PM   #4 
vaygirl

I hope he'll be okay. At least carpet has some cushioning. I think what you did is fine. Take a deep breath. :)
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:28 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm feeling better now! lol It scared the heck out of me! I have never picked up one of my fish before and THAT scared me, too! I touched him lightly when he was on the carpet and he wiggled so I knew he was alive. I had no idea how or what to pick him up with. They are so small and delicate! I ended up scooping him off the carpet with both hands and dumping him back into his tank. He's swimming around like normal right now. I hope he'll be ok.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:33 PM   #6 
doggyhog

He should be fine... My friend was cleaning her bettas bowl and her fish almost went down the drain... luckily she grabbed it before it did!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:44 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Now THAT'S scary!
Old 02-10-2010, 01:52 PM   #8 
Noko

He should be fine. My cousin's fish (Willy) jumped out of his container when she was cleaning his tank. She was in the kitchen, and he flopped into the sink, and down the drain. She got him, and he is still swimming around happily today.
Noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:18 PM   #9 
Betta Fish Bob
Banned

DQ! A veteran like you??? I am glad your fish is fine.
I always did a little salt and quarantine bowl, and then a second bowl, and then back in the tank.
I am pretty sure the microscopic slime layer on fish helps against things like this, since you got it back in the tank quickly.
Betta Fish Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:39 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

He's still swimming around normally. so I guess he'll be ok. I did put salt in his water so that should help. I've never had this to happen before. Thanks, everyone, for the reassurance. :)