Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-26-2014, 05:56 PM   #1 
daniella3d

Fluval Spec V

I just got my new Fluval Spec V (5 gallons) today. So far I love it and my betta seem to be really happy to be with us in the kitchen and not alone in the basement.

I am very impressed with the filtration as it was cloudy when I started it this afternoon and in less than one hour the water was crystal clear. I used the cycled media from my other filter and Tetra safe start as well. There is enough space behind to put a little 25 watts Theo heater and a few almond leaves.

I used Seachem black flourite as the base for the plants, is that any good? I did a minimalist aquascaping and it will remain that way. I wanted some tall plants so that the betta can rest on them at night. I also ordered a floating tube for his bed. I had to put a sponge over the water exhaust because it was too strong but now it's perfect.

What do you think?

Last edited by daniella3d; 03-26-2014 at 05:59 PM.
daniella3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:31 PM   #2 
Blue Fish

Very very pretty! I love the gray rocks, they're beautiful! :)

And your betta is a handsome, handsome little man. :) I love the blue and white color combination. ;)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:42 PM   #3 
daniella3d

Thanks! those are ADA seiryu stones, and not sure they will not alter the hardness of the water so I will have to keep a good check on that because they are lime stones. But they are so pretty! they cost an arm and a leg though! lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Fish View Post
Very very pretty! I love the gray rocks, they're beautiful! :)

And your betta is a handsome, handsome little man. :) I love the blue and white color combination. ;)
Old 03-26-2014, 07:50 PM   #4 
Briz

If you find that the 25w Theo isn't heating that tank enough (probably not a problem now that warmer weather is approaching, but for future reference), the 50w is just a teeny tiny bit longer, so it should still fit anywhere the 25w does. It's also about the same price (cheaper than the 25w on some websites!)
Briz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:20 PM   #5 
daniella3d

I think I have the 25 watts, but not sure. It was on my fluval edge 6 gallons and it was strong enough to heat the tank at 80F in my pretty cool basement so I don't think there will be a problem at all. Temperature in the tank is now 79F.

I will check out the 50 watts for my next setup, thanks!

I also have a 100 watt titanium heater that is so small, it's even smaller than the Theo and has an external digital thermometer control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briz View Post
If you find that the 25w Theo isn't heating that tank enough (probably not a problem now that warmer weather is approaching, but for future reference), the 50w is just a teeny tiny bit longer, so it should still fit anywhere the 25w does. It's also about the same price (cheaper than the 25w on some websites!)
Old 03-26-2014, 10:10 PM   #6 
daniella3d

Strange if he looks white in that photo because he's kind of blue and copper. Here are better photos of him. I don't think I have seen such color before, it's a bit wierd. Also it's hard to tell now but he was a marble when I got him. He's white on the top of the body.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:49 PM   #7 
Blue Fish

Ooh, now I see it, he is a beauty! I think it was his clear sections that looked whiter in the first photo. :)

I can see the marbling, it looks fairly light though, like more light blue and dark blue than blue and white. He's a really stunning fish! :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:14 AM   #8 
merrycat

Newbie here! I have a question about the Fluval Spec V light. Is the stock light bright enough to grow anything but low light plants? I'm planning on getting one this summer and I'm hoping to make it nice and lush.
merrycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:25 AM   #9 
tonjelunde

I bought this today and I see you have a sponge over the outflow of the filter. Does it help?? I used some hair ties and tied this soft, thick plastic around it making the current slower and go downwards. Do you recommend getting the sponge?
tonjelunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 11:35 AM   #10 
percyfyshshelley

Hi merry, I have the spec V and I'd say the light is only good for low light plants. I have moss, anubius, and some crypts. They did ok, but started doing much better when I added a clip on light (fluorescent 13 watt).
percyfyshshelley is offline   Reply With Quote