Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-10-2010, 07:19 PM   #1 
kuklachica

old/used eclipse tanks?

I have the opportunity to buy a used 12 gallon eclipse tank... it is 3 years old - only used for 2 years and sitting for one. It comes with everything - gravel, decorations, heater, and even the Marineland stand for it, all for $50! Now, my question is, does anyone have an old Eclipse? How well do they age? if I purchased this, how many years could I reasonable expect from it? The guy says that it worked the last time he used it (a year ago). He is only getting rid of it because he doesn't have time for fish anymore with 2 year old twins!

What do you guys think?

... and of course, this all depends on hubby-approval :) I think it would be a good "just in case" tank to have around for that price.
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:47 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

I would ask the seller if he could run the filtration system to make sure the motor runs correctly and check the light (if the bulb is out you can get another quite easily). Besides that I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. Eclipse is a great system and Marineland service is outstanding.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:09 AM   #3 
kelly528

As long as the filter runs quiet I would go for it. I wouldn't even think about buying a brand new aquarium when you can get the same thing (after its cleaned lol) for a fraction of the price!
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:34 PM   #4 
kuklachica

Thank you, Good advice guys. He plugged it in and the lights and filter did not work. I offered him $10 for everything (tank, hood, plants, gravel, heater, stand) and he accepted. I am willing to call marineland and see about replacement parts. If I can't figure out the problem, well, at least I have some more decor, heater, and a nice stand for $10! Any ideas on where to find replacement hoods?
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:46 PM   #5 
1fish2fish

Call marineland.. they'll probably send you a new one for free and if not they have all the replacement parts available to order. Try taking the ... for lack of a better term "doohicky that spins around in the bottom of the filter".. out and see if its clogged.. its the part that sticks down in the tank that the intake tube attaches to. Its hard to open but there is a little "spinny thing" that needs to be cleaned periodically.

I need to break out the eclipse book and learn the actual names
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:06 PM   #6 
thegameksk

I just purchased a eclipse 12g off craigstlist and the light doesnt work. I saw you said to call maineland for a free bulb possibly. What do I say when I call?
thegameksk is offline   Reply With Quote