Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-10-2010, 07:19 PM   #1 
veganchick

another HUGE rescue!!!!!!

Well my LPS is closing down due to many "anonymous (ok, well calls by me and a couple humane society and *P.A.P.P.S. friends)" calls to local authorities regarding poor care of their animals (they kept a monky in a small hanging cage, bettas in cups half as small as petsmart keep theirs in, most of their other fish were dead, the gerbils were always lethargic, the puppies generally had broken tails and kennel cough, I could go on and on about how terrible this place is.... but I wont). The local humane society is taking in all dogs, cats, rabbits, monkey, and lizards. The rest (gerbils, guinea pigs, hamsters, birds, goldfish, betta fish, plecos, parrot fish, and snakes) are under *P.A.P.P.S. (People against purchasing from petstores)care. With a couple calls, the head of PAPPS was able to rent out a local warehouse type thing where the animals can stay. A guinea pig, a lavender corn snake, and a boa constrictor were assigned to me (they stay at the warehouse, they are just my responsibility to care for). I volunteered to take the bettas (there are about 50 of them) home because the warehouse hardly gets up to 60 degrees. The lights and heaters that they have need to go to the more delicate creatures, so only the strongest bettas would have made it out. The tiny female bettas are in mini kritter
totes and the tank shown below because I don't have the funds or room for anything better. The males have small critter keepers, 2.5g bowls, and 1g tupperware tubs. I'll keep you updated! Oh, and the other picture is taz, the completle finless male in his cup before being transfered to the tub.

[IMG]file://r/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]

Last edited by veganchick; 02-10-2010 at 07:22 PM.
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:27 PM   #2 
Noko

Thank god someone cares about those bettas to take care of them! They are better off with you than the petshop. I don't get how people can keep any animal in that bad of conditions. It's so sad how animals can be treated.
Noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:37 PM   #3 
wallywestisthebest333

OH MY GOSH THAT'S TERRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TT^TT
How could somone just watch a creature suffer like that?!?!?!?
You're A WONDERFUL person for taking it upon yourself to care for some of those animals in their time of need!
I'll be praying for them and I hope you find people to adopt them soon!
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:39 PM   #4 
Kitch3ntools

thats awesome that all the pets are now getting the care they need. it really is sad that this had to happen. it gived the pet stores that actually care for their animals and keeps them in good condition a bad name.
Kitch3ntools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:56 PM   #5 
FuulieQ

Those poor creatures!!! :C

I wish I was nearby you, I'd love to help out...
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:34 PM   #6 
RedBetta

Wow thats sad im sorry to hear about that. I actually work at petsmart, but thank god my manager is a total pet lover, even for the bettas though we do keep them in those cups if one looks like somthing could even be slightly wrong we bring it into the sick room and it gets its own 5gallon until we think its better and it goes up for adoption at that point if an employee hasnt already taken it.

When we sell our fish we give care guides and go over things over and over again with people to ensure the fish will be in a good home, even if they have had bettas before we drill them. We suggest nothing less than a 1gallon and we are allowed to refuse sales to people we dont see fit right and have many times before. I know not all petsmarts are as 'anal' as we are about things but im glad we are. If you were around california i'd be more than happy to help you with your fishies, your doin a great thing. <3
RedBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:58 PM   #7 
veganchick

Thank you so much everyone! These poor little guys... I'm afraid that some of them just won't make it, but I'll try! They will all be posted on craigslist in a couple days (or weeks depending on how long it takes for them to recover) The boa I was assighned is amazing.... But he is so big (the size doesn't scare me, its just that what I have to feed something that size scares me!) The lavender corn snake will need some socialization, but I am sure he will go soon! The guinea pig is just adorable, but he has slight wet tail, so he will take a bit. I have a few female bettas less than half an inch in size, and they are just adorable!!! Hopefully I will be able to part with all of them!!!!
Old 02-10-2010, 09:02 PM   #8 
veganchick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBetta View Post
Wow thats sad im sorry to hear about that. I actually work at petsmart, but thank god my manager is a total pet lover, even for the bettas though we do keep them in those cups if one looks like somthing could even be slightly wrong we bring it into the sick room and it gets its own 5gallon until we think its better and it goes up for adoption at that point if an employee hasnt already taken it.

When we sell our fish we give care guides and go over things over and over again with people to ensure the fish will be in a good home, even if they have had bettas before we drill them. We suggest nothing less than a 1gallon and we are allowed to refuse sales to people we dont see fit right and have many times before. I know not all petsmarts are as 'anal' as we are about things but im glad we are. If you were around california i'd be more than happy to help you with your fishies, your doin a great thing. <3
I wanna go work there! lol! Thats awesome! Sadly our LPS have pretty horrid fish conditions. 4 or 5 of them sell puppies, and 2 sell large exotic animals..... I guess I live right next to the state with the most puppy mills in America, but still...... I just don't get how people can do that... Anyway, your petsmart sounds great! I am surprised you guys take such good care of all of your fish. Even really nice fish stores don't always do that! Good for you and keep up the good work!
Old 02-10-2010, 09:16 PM   #9 
JamieTron

aww I would take one off your hands if I didn't live so far away. Good work on helping those animals! That's a really good thing you did taking them in
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:28 PM   #10 
veganchick

thanks :) sadly taz, the yellow finless betta who was a favorite among everyone doesn't look so good. He is struggling to breath, and having random spazz attacks. I'm going to try lowering he water level so there are just 2-3 inches left so he can reach the surface, but that and aquarium salt is really all i can do.