Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-10-2010, 11:11 PM   #11 
dramaqueen
Banned

Wow, what an awesome thing you are doing!! I hope all the animals get good homes.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 02:23 AM   #12 
Rain Drop

Good for you for making a stand!
I hope all those animals get well placed, they deserve it!
Rain Drop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:49 AM   #13 

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganchick View Post
Well my LPS is closing down due to many "anonymous (ok, well calls by me and a couple humane society and *P.A.P.P.S. friends)" calls to local authorities regarding poor care of their animals (they kept a monky in a small hanging cage, bettas in cups half as small as petsmart keep theirs in, most of their other fish were dead, the gerbils were always lethargic, the puppies generally had broken tails and kennel cough, I could go on and on about how terrible this place is.... but I wont). The local humane society is taking in all dogs, cats, rabbits, monkey, and lizards. The rest (gerbils, guinea pigs, hamsters, birds, goldfish, betta fish, plecos, parrot fish, and snakes) are under *P.A.P.P.S. (People against purchasing from petstores)care. With a couple calls, the head of PAPPS was able to rent out a local warehouse type thing where the animals can stay. A guinea pig, a lavender corn snake, and a boa constrictor were assigned to me (they stay at the warehouse, they are just my responsibility to care for). I volunteered to take the bettas (there are about 50 of them) home because the warehouse hardly gets up to 60 degrees. The lights and heaters that they have need to go to the more delicate creatures, so only the strongest bettas would have made it out. The tiny female bettas are in mini kritter
totes and the tank shown below because I don't have the funds or room for anything better. The males have small critter keepers, 2.5g bowls, and 1g tupperware tubs. I'll keep you updated! Oh, and the other picture is taz, the completle finless male in his cup before being transfered to the tub.

[IMG]file://r/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]

Perhaps a large rubbermaid tub,heater ,and sponge filter would better accomodate the 50 fishes? Would imagine they would enjoy the room and water changes wouldn't be needed as frequently. Rubbermaid tubs,buckets, are pretty cheap at walmart.
In my view,, too many fish in one small container, isn't much of an improvement over one fish in a cup.Opinions Vary
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:54 AM   #14 
Noko

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1077 View Post
Perhaps a large rubbermaid tub,heater ,and sponge filter would better accomodate the 50 fishes? Would imagine they would enjoy the room and water changes wouldn't be needed as frequently. Rubbermaid tubs,buckets, are pretty cheap at walmart.
In my view,, too many fish in one small container, isn't much of an improvement over one fish in a cup.Opinions Vary
I think what veganchick has them is perfectly fine for now. She would have to get a lot of rubbermaid containers, and that would be really pricey. I think she has them one betta per smallish container. 50 bettas is a lot if you think about how males need separate containers.
Noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:27 AM   #15 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noko View Post
I think what veganchick has them is perfectly fine for now. She would have to get a lot of rubbermaid containers, and that would be really pricey. I think she has them one betta per smallish container. 50 bettas is a lot if you think about how males need separate containers.
Believe she said they were female bettas. Rubbermaid tub would hold quite a few. Males would present a problem. Three gal buckets are cheaper than these "critter keepers"
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:12 PM   #16 
Romad
TFK Moderator

There ought to be more people like you Veganchick. Thanks for caring.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:58 PM   #17 
doggyhog

Woooow!! THANK YOU.

That is terrible about how they kept their animals. :(

If I were closer, I'd help you out and take care of some of them.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:35 PM   #18 
veganchick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1077 View Post
Believe she said they were female bettas. Rubbermaid tub would hold quite a few. Males would present a problem. Three gal buckets are cheaper than these "critter keepers"
There are males and females. Most all are fairly sick and I'm afraid it would kill them all off it I put them in a tank with a billion different fish and a billion different disease types spreading. There is one fish in every container. I do have a few rubber made tubs, but I will need pics of all these fish for their adoption adds, and they are much easier to see in nice fish tanks. Plus if people come to look at them in person, it is a much nicer looking. I KNOW that a half gallon is WAAAAAAAAAAY to small to permanently house a betta fish (I never permanently keep one in anything less than 4g, and I like to keep most in 12g tanks) but I could NOT fit 63 4g or larger tanks in my house, none the less maintain them all (with the sick fish they need daily water changes). I am sorry that you feel I am abusing these fish.
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:43 PM   #19 
Min

[quote=veganchick;323367]Well my LPS is closing down due to many "anonymous (ok, well calls by me and a couple humane society and *P.A.P.P.S. friends)" calls to local authorities regarding poor care of their animals (they kept a monky in a small hanging cage, bettas in cups half as small as petsmart keep theirs in, most of their other fish were dead, the gerbils were always lethargic, the puppies generally had broken tails and kennel cough, I could go on and on about how terrible this place is.... but I wont). The local humane society is taking in all dogs, cats, rabbits, monkey, and lizards.

Wanted to say thank you for caring. Ive not encountered any pet stores like this in delaware we just dont have them anymore. I hate any animal,reptile , fish or living thing in general living in those conditions. No living being should live like that & I hate that humans down grade the quality of life of animals of any kind for the sake of $.
Min is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:03 PM   #20 
veganchick

Thanks. It just horrifies me what some people will do..... Sadly enough it was being run by an elementary school science teacher who was, I am glad to say, fined more money than I have ever had in my possesion.
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote