Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-11-2010, 06:05 PM   #21 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Well, I'm glad that you saved all of them. I hope they get all loving homes. :)
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:34 PM   #22 
Noko

Well, I think you are doing an excellent job so far veganchick. What you have all the bettas in for now is fine for I think they would prefer getting taken care of rather than being able to swim all over the place. I underastand how hard it is to create the best conditions possible for all of those bettas because I volunteer at an animal shelter for abused and neglected animals. The dogs don't care if they only get a walk a day and are outside in decent sized pens. Sure they would love if they had a big field to themselves, but they just apprectiate being looked after, and feeling safer. I wish you luck with all the bettas!</
Noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:16 PM   #23 
veganchick

thanks! yah I volunteer with my local animal shelters too! Good for you for doing that! If I had the mone and tha space I would buy a giant 200 acre lot and start a farm for rescue horses dogs and cats reptiles, birds, ect and they would all have tons of room, but sadly thats a bit unrealistic at the moment...
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:34 PM   #24 
Jupiter

Wow! Good for you, Veganchick! Good luck with your rescues.

I think I may have mentioned this before, but you can't link us directly to an image you have on your computer. If you need help with uploading pictures, I can PM you a guide if you want.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:40 PM   #25 
FireKidomaru

Wow I bet thoses bettas are lucky that you came along and saved them
FireKidomaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:35 PM   #26 
GawfFish

Good for you, veganchick. The world needs more people like you.
GawfFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:42 PM   #27 
dramaqueen
Banned

Veganchick, I bet you'll have that farm for rescued animals one of these days.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:54 PM   #28 
veganchick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
Wow! Good for you, Veganchick! Good luck with your rescues.

I think I may have mentioned this before, but you can't link us directly to an image you have on your computer. If you need help with uploading pictures, I can PM you a guide if you want.
That would be awesome! I have figured it out on petfinder but I'm having some issues on here!
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:55 PM   #29 
vaygirl

I'm glad you're there to help the fishies. I bet it's a LOT of work. It's wonderful that people care so much about the little guys. Too bad not everyone sees them like we do.

My husband and I always talk about taking in geriatric basset hounds, cause we love ours so much.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:42 AM   #30 

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganchick View Post
There are males and females. Most all are fairly sick and I'm afraid it would kill them all off it I put them in a tank with a billion different fish and a billion different disease types spreading. There is one fish in every container. I do have a few rubber made tubs, but I will need pics of all these fish for their adoption adds, and they are much easier to see in nice fish tanks. Plus if people come to look at them in person, it is a much nicer looking. I KNOW that a half gallon is WAAAAAAAAAAY to small to permanently house a betta fish (I never permanently keep one in anything less than 4g, and I like to keep most in 12g tanks) but I could NOT fit 63 4g or larger tanks in my house, none the less maintain them all (with the sick fish they need daily water changes). I am sorry that you feel I am abusing these fish.

Don't get me wrong , I have no doubt that fish are sick, and that proper diet along with improved water conditions will go a long way towards restoring the fishes health. Water changes alone more often as not will allow a fishes immune sytem to combat all manner of Illness without the need for medication which should always be last resort.IMHO.
I am assuming it will be some weeks before the fish are offered for adoption and is why I suggested a tub or bucket. There ,,,the fish are easily treated if meds are needed,proper doses of meds are easier to figure.no chance of spreading possible parasites or bacterial pathogens to numerous tanks,bowls,etc. Water changes that will provide the best benefits are easier,and maintaining temperatures that don't fluctuate as easily as they do in smaller containers are also made easier.
You only need to treat one container rather than twenty or thirty if medications are needed.
Personally, I think what you are doing is admirable. Just trying to point out things that may make it esier for you while at the same time,, providing the fishes with some benefits as well.
If I could house all the young females in one tub, then that is what I would do were it me. Once the fish were healthy ,I might then place them in tank for photos or viewing.
I would not indiscriminately begin medicating already stressed fish until I observed what a couple weeks of daily or twice daily water changes and proper diet did for the fish which I'mn sure is what you are planning.
If as last resort, I felt medication was the way forward,, I would use one set of tools for sick tank or tanks. I would not use same net,cups,syphons,glass scrapers,sponges,etc from one tank to another and by keeping the number of sick fishes confined to as few containers as possible,,, things will be much easier to manage. Opinions Vary.

Last edited by 1077; 02-12-2010 at 12:45 AM.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote