Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-11-2010, 11:15 AM   #11 
Tragedy

Thanks guys <3

I'm not planning on getting another one to 'replace' him. Even if he's still under the warranty or whatever, it just wouldn't feel right.

I'm going to focus on the ones I have now.

I will ask, though. I'd like to un-split Reid and Bleud. How do I clean a tank that had a fish infected with Columnaris? Vinegar and hot water? I don't want one of them to get sick, but I'd like to un-split them so they both have more room.
Tragedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:17 AM   #12 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I don't know much about Columnaris. If it's very contagious than I would use a little vinegar and scolding hot water and scrub it a million times.lol
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:23 AM   #13 
Tragedy

Yup, it's super contagious, which is why I'm anally watching little Penelope (she was his tank-mate before I saw the fuzz on his head). I've got salt in with her as a precaution already, though, so I'm crossing my fingers that nothing will happen.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:39 AM   #14 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I hope she doesn't get it either. I'll be crossing my fingers for you! :)
Old 02-11-2010, 12:04 PM   #15 
Romad
TFK Moderator

I'm so sorry to hear about Colts. RIP little guy.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:39 PM   #16 
Betta Fish Bob
Banned

Due to the death of Colts, and how serious Columnaris is, I thought I would post this excerpt from "Friends of Fish". The actual post is way too long, but I recommend going there and reading it. Very thorough.
(Article link is after the picture.)

What is Columnaris?
Columnaris is a disease that goes by many names. Flexibacter, mouth rot, mouth fungus, gill fungus, body fungus, saddleback columnaris, and cotton wool disease: all of these common terms describe one tenacious bacteria, Flavobacterium columnare, previously known as Flexibacter columnaris. This gram-negative, motile, rod-shaped bacteria thrives in many of the same conditions that our tropical fish also enjoy, making it especially dangerous and virulent to stressed fish. Two primary strains exist, both with potentially devastating internal and external symptoms. One is slow-developing, with symptoms appearing over several days and more easily quelled by treatment. The other can kill within hours, and is known for creating massive losses due to its extreme virulence. Regardless of the strain or progression of the disease, columnaris is nothing to be taken lightly.

Betta with Columnaris

http://network.bestfriends.org/group...olumnaris.aspx
Betta Fish Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:45 PM   #17 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Omg one of the dragon's I got had this and he died almost right away. It spread across his gills and sides.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:48 PM   #18 
Tragedy

I'm pretty sure he had the fast moving strain, but I really don't know. I mean, he was looking better/doing fine and then suddenly it took him over and killed him in a matter of hours. But maybe it wasn't... I don't know =(
Old 02-11-2010, 03:00 PM   #19 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think I would lean toward bleaching the tank but if you do, RINSE, RINSE, RINSE very well, sit it in the sun for a few days and rinse, rinse and rinse some more. Rinse the heck out of it.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:56 PM   #20 
Tragedy

I'm not sure if I'd feel safe bleaching it, but I have so many little pieces that go with the tank it'd probably be best. I'll steal some of my friends' Bleach later.

It will have to be in indirect sunlight, though. I live in the dorms, can't leave a fish tank outside.