Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-11-2010, 01:07 AM   #1 
FullofBliss

Question My thermometer

Ok so i bought my lil guy Al a heater and thermometer. I decided to install it while doing my water change ( I have a three gallon tank with ug filter by the way) and when I released him back into water after letting him float in a cup on top for twenty minutes he kept flaring at the thermometer! should take it out or what? Maybe I released him too early and the water temp shocked him but I don't want him to feel threatened all day long. Is it healthy for him to flare up? I just want him happy.
FullofBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:21 AM   #2 
DragonFish

Haha, sounds like you have quite a little character on your hands....any pics of him doing that?

Thats very normal, theres no need to worry ;) Bettas are funny like that, sometimes they'll just do quirky little things like flare at a new decoration or, in your case, the thermometer. xD He'll calm down and get used to it eventually.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:39 PM   #3 
LisaC144

I wouldn't worry at all. It was something new in the tank that he wasn't used to. He's just standing his ground and after he realizes it's not a threat, he'll be fine.
LisaC144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:30 PM   #4 
FullofBliss

He did stop flaring at the thermometer the very next day but he's not the same active betta he was beforehand; he's hiding in his plant a lot now where as before he swam excitingly most of the time and if he was near the bottom he seemed to be searching and looking for something. Now he's somewhat lethargic. I'm hoping he goes back to his old ways.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:39 PM   #5 
SchwimmyTheBetta

He's probably getting used to the stable water temp too. I di the same thing. I got my betta a thermometer and an undergravel heater and he'd flare and swim at the thermometer and swin in between it and the glass. Now he's fine with it. Just be patient and give him time to adjust. :)
SchwimmyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 02:13 AM   #6 
FullofBliss

Yeah he started playing around again!

Tags
flaring, shock, thermometer, water changes