Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-10-2010, 08:24 PM   #1 
puppyrjjkm

Question Males in "breeding boxes"

I've seen some of you have males bettas in what look like "breeding boxes" like you would put a pregnant guppy or something, then hang it inside a female sorority or even community tank. I was just wondering why you would use this housing, I'm just assumming because you had no other tank at the moment. This sounds like it comes across as mean but I'm really just curious! Haha thanks :)
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:14 PM   #2 
DragonFish

I've used them for temp. housing on several occasions, they're very handy if something goes wrong and you have no other place to put your male.....like if your new divider wasn't as secure as you wanted it and you didn't have the time right then to fix it, or if something goes wrong with their tank, you can float them in a breeder box in another tank until you can fix the problem.
Its also good if you have tank mates with your betta that take other kinds of food....you can separate your guy out at meal time to give the others a chance to eat, or keep him in there for a few days to fast him if hes eaten too much.

They're also good for Sororities. If you don't have enough time to rearrange the tank right then, put the new girl in a breeder box for a day or two. Or of you have a girl thats being a bully at meal time, or just over-eating, stick her in the breeder box.

Its a very handy little thing to have around, IMO. Many good uses ;)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:30 PM   #3 
doggyhog

Yep. I have one that I got for free, and one I made out of plastic canvas. I do not use it as permanent housing, but it's GREAT for little things like what dragon fish said. :)
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:42 AM   #4 
vaygirl

I put Tango in one when I feed my corys cause he's a bullying little piglet at meal time!
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:47 AM   #5 
1fish2fish

I'm getting them to feed my snails in.. they eat so slow and my bettas think that they are algae eaters too that my snails end up getting the short end of the stick.

There is also a growing trend to keep petstore bettas in these at the store.. that way the fish get the comforts of a filtered/ heated tank but aren't subjected to having to live in a community tank.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:06 PM   #6 
doggyhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
There is also a growing trend to keep petstore bettas in these at the store.. that way the fish get the comforts of a filtered/ heated tank but aren't subjected to having to live in a community tank.
That's a good idea!

One of my LFS houses bettas in the tanks with plants for sale. :) 15 gallons for one betta!!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:09 PM   #7 
1fish2fish

Thats ok for small fish stores but places like petco and petsmart who don't have plants the breeder boxes are a great idea.. I wish my local petsmart would do that.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:47 PM   #8 
puppyrjjkm

Good ideas! Thanks everyone! :)
Old 02-11-2010, 07:47 PM   #9 
Jupiter

Your assumption is correct, I don't have any extra tanks at the moment. I figured it would be nicer for my males to have heated and filtered water with ladies to flirt with as opposed to being stuck in a bowl or something. ;)
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:54 PM   #10 
puppyrjjkm

Yeah that is better than a bowl or those cups! :)