Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-24-2014, 09:14 PM   #1 
Pocketmew

New here! My Betta's fins look a little small

Soo! This is my first betta, and first fish for that matter. My elder sister decided to bring home a betta in a 1.4 gal...bowl? I don't know but he looked ragged in it. So I took hold of the reigns and got the fish a 5.5 gal tank and hooked him up with a heater, filter, and some live plants. His only fake plants are silk plants.

I'm not posting this in the disease section because basically, I don't think he has fin rot or anything of the sort...His fins just look small to me. Also it would be amazing if you guys could classify what type of betta he is! Will his fins grow larger? Because I was thinking maybe he is younger...and I know its a male because he does flare at his reflection.

and sorry for quality of pictures to come my camera on my phone=not the best.

His fins are tucked in at the top since he was zooming around. very active betta now that he is in a 5.5

Pocketmew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:16 PM   #2 
Pocketmew

Also on the top of his head there is a pinkish tone to it that almost looks like a scar. Kinda reminds me of a scar someone would get if they got burned. But it could just be his coloring. ff wish I could get better pictures...I can keep trying if need be.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:56 PM   #3 
Seki

He's fine, his fins look normal. Lovely fish! He's a doubletail, so it's normal to expect a shorter, stockier body and a wider peduncle, which can give the appearance of shorter fins imo. Also, betta fin length varies by individual. I have two VTs right now and their fin lengths are radically different. I also have two HMPKs with different fin lengths and my HMDT has extraordinarily long fins whereas I have seen HMDTs with fins about your guy's length. Personally, I like the slightly shorter fins, and I also think it's easier on the fish because the fins don't weigh them down. It makes them less inclined to bite, too, which is nice.

Basically... your fish is fine, and he's gorgeous! Keep doing what you're doing!
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:59 PM   #4 
Pocketmew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seki View Post
He's fine, his fins look normal. Lovely fish! He's a doubletail, so it's normal to expect a shorter, stockier body and a wider peduncle, which can give the appearance of shorter fins imo. Also, betta fin length varies by individual. I have two VTs right now and their fin lengths are radically different. I also have two HMPKs with different fin lengths and my HMDT has extraordinarily long fins whereas I have seen HMDTs with fins about your guy's length. Personally, I like the slightly shorter fins, and I also think it's easier on the fish because the fins don't weigh them down. It makes them less inclined to bite, too, which is nice.

Basically... your fish is fine, and he's gorgeous! Keep doing what you're doing!

Okay! That is a RELIEF! I was paranoid because basically Petco where she got him had an issue where a lot of their fish were sick, they were stuck floating on their sides in the cups. I searched up betta types and just couldn't find one that looked like him ahah.

Its so weird how addicted to bettas I am now, I can't stop reading and researching them. I hope this little guy lives a long while ;w;
Old 03-24-2014, 10:12 PM   #5 
AudaxViator

Hmm I am a new member too but I think I can help. So yeah the pics are blurry but I think he might have some "cellophane" coloring (or actually lack of coloring), here is a good example of what I'm talking about. Basically the fins are normal length but parts of them are clear. This is normal :) Oh and he looks like a double-tail, which means the tail splits into two distinct parts. And he's PURPLE, I love purple. Okay it's pink/red/blue, but mix those colors together you get purple. He is super pretty!

There are some sticky threads at the beginning of this forum section that will help you with basic care as well as tail types, they helped me a lot when I started out. Everything about water conditioner, water changes, etc is in those threads.

Also if you'd like to take better pictures, you could try putting him in a clear cup (maybe the one you bought him in?) and then putting him near a lamp. This will also make it easier to take a pic of the top of his head where you think there is discoloration.

Did you name him yet? And did you draw your cute little avatar? It's adorable, I love his tiny frowny face!
AudaxViator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:10 PM   #6 
Pocketmew

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudaxViator View Post
Hmm I am a new member too but I think I can help. So yeah the pics are blurry but I think he might have some "cellophane" coloring (or actually lack of coloring), here is a good example of what I'm talking about. Basically the fins are normal length but parts of them are clear. This is normal :) Oh and he looks like a double-tail, which means the tail splits into two distinct parts. And he's PURPLE, I love purple. Okay it's pink/red/blue, but mix those colors together you get purple. He is super pretty!

There are some sticky threads at the beginning of this forum section that will help you with basic care as well as tail types, they helped me a lot when I started out. Everything about water conditioner, water changes, etc is in those threads.

Also if you'd like to take better pictures, you could try putting him in a clear cup (maybe the one you bought him in?) and then putting him near a lamp. This will also make it easier to take a pic of the top of his head where you think there is discoloration.

Did you name him yet? And did you draw your cute little avatar? It's adorable, I love his tiny frowny face!

Yeah I read through the stickies ;3 Thats what I did when she first brought him home to figure out tank setup. I LOVE his colors too! Purple is my favorite color :) and yeah I quickly drew my avatar haha. I'll try that to take a picture of him.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:35 AM   #7 
brikbl

@pocketmew @audaxviator I love that opaque-fin color pattern, very cool fish!
brikbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:14 AM   #8 
AudaxViator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocketmew View Post
Yeah I read through the stickies ;3 Thats what I did when she first brought him home to figure out tank setup. I LOVE his colors too! Purple is my favorite color :) and yeah I quickly drew my avatar haha. I'll try that to take a picture of him.
Hooray a fellow artist! I'm illustration and have been thinking about doing a betta for my avatar. I think there's even a section here for betta art lol. I've been thinking about creating a custom background for my tank too. Why buy one when I could procrastinate on other work and make a pretty picture my fish will never appreciate?! Hehe

@brikbl, Yes omg one of my favorite betta colorings is lavender. Pair that with cellophane and I'm basically going to steal Pocketmew's fish.

Last edited by AudaxViator; 03-25-2014 at 08:19 AM.
AudaxViator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:16 PM   #9 
brikbl

@audoxviator, Pocketmew was smart to not include a location! Heh, something about Betta owners, I think we all appreciate art a little more. Honestly, I keep Bettas because they are like flowers in the water, very inspiring! I can't wait to see your painting and avatar, I know your fish will ignore it :]
brikbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:51 PM   #10 
aselvarial

What a beautiful fish! He's lucky he had you to take over and make sure he had a good home.
aselvarial is offline   Reply With Quote