Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-31-2013, 11:44 PM   #1 
AlgarveblueVT

Question can Bettas tolerate 60F temp?

I have recently come back from holiday, and whilst I was away i visited a fish store and asked for a heater for a 2.5gal fish bowl- the lady sold me a Hydor under gravel preset heater and told me that it was good for up to 20L
(this was also stated on packet) I had asked her up to what temp does it go at which she told me it would be suitable for that size tank.

knowing that bettas like warmer water 72-78, i thought this would be ok but after setting it up and running it - it onlys heats the water to 60-61F

He is not so lethargic now,but I am hoping he will be ok for a time till I decide to get another.

also tested water and found the following:
Ammonia= .25ppm
Ph=7.6

I do 100% water change every week
AlgarveblueVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:00 AM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

Personally I think while a betta may be able to tolerate a temperature of 60 degrees, it is not a suitable temperature for a tropical fish. Particularly if you are looking at having the water at this temperature for more than a couple of days.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:06 AM   #3 
AlgarveblueVT

thats a shame because before there was no heater at all, and now I intend to use this one for at least a month, everything here on the continent is so expensive, i cant just waste money and get another one so soon after, hes been in colder water for a long time,I just think for now he will have to acclimatize to it until I can afford a better one.

but thanks for the advice,and will be hoping to get a new one soon
Old 01-01-2014, 02:26 AM   #4 
Aus

Don't feel bad - you are doing the best you can for him!

I would so mail you a spare Dymax mini heater, but I fear the postage from here would cost almost as much a new heater.. and take probably as long to get there!
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:39 AM   #5 
AlgarveblueVT

Question 60f

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
Don't feel bad - you are doing the best you can for him!

I would so mail you a spare Dymax mini heater, but I fear the postage from here would cost almost as much a new heater.. and take probably as long to get there!
Are you able to find out for me anyway??
I would be interested.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:47 PM   #6 
fidget

There are lots of cheap heaters on ebay! I've gotten a bunch and haven't had any problems.
fidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:04 AM   #7 
AlgarveblueVT

they dont post to Portugal.

I have already looked
Old 01-02-2014, 05:17 AM   #8 
Aus

I can ask my housemate to check the exact postage (he works at the post office, lol) but he says just by looking at it that it would probably be cheaper just to buy a new heater locally. :(

I hate that postage costs so much! But anyway, I'll let you know how much when he gets around to properly weighing it.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:25 AM   #9 
AlgarveblueVT

@Aus

have a look anyway.
I will wait now for a month or 2, before i think of getting another.
I have looked on ebay and amazon but they dont ship to Portugal.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:54 AM   #10 
Starfish1

What temp is the room that he's in? If you heat the room up to 70 or move him to a warmer room, the hydor under gravel heater would keep it a few degrees warmer than the temperature of the air. It's not good to keep them in rooms that are below 70, because even if the water is warm they need warm air for the labyrinth organ that they use to breathe when they come up to take a breath.

Heaters will only heat the water to a certain point, the room has to be warm too or else your aquarium won't be warm enough. :)
Starfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote