Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-25-2014, 05:38 PM   #1 
KoPi

Post Bad care?

Well, first of all, My sister has a betta fish named Ray. My sister got him a one gallon fish bowl and treats him like a gold fish. I heard they needed more things than gold fishes. She also uses cold water for him to swim in. Is it true? If it is, how do I convince my sister? FYI, she is very stubborn. Sorry, I'm don't have much knowledge with aquatic animals... (Any other info?)

Her other betta fish died not reccently... His name was Rainbow. Ray and Rainbow were housed together. My sister says she is still "punishing" Ray for killing Rainbow... I've heard many information about betta fishes and I'm not sure which one was right. I also believe she physically touches Ray's scales by dipping her finger in the bowl and chasing him...

Last edited by KoPi; 03-25-2014 at 05:43 PM.
KoPi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:11 PM   #2 
Laki

It sounds to me like your sister thinks fish are toys. Tell her to have fun killing Ray.

In the meantime, you can encourage her to get a heater and warm his water. Bettas are tropical fish and require 78-82F stable temperatures. He needs his bowl cleaned twice a week with fresh conditioned water (drops from the pet store) and he needs a balanced high protein diet consisting of pellets and frozen worms.

How old is your sister? Chances are, she has NO clue that she's killing her fish and she cannot understand that the 2 male bettas killed each other because they cannot live together at all, naturally or artificially. So, if you're willing to show her good pet ownership, you'll have to remove the tank from her room (if you're allowed) and place it in a neutral zone where you and your sister frequent: kitchen, bathroom, living room. That way you can guarantee it gets proper care while she can enjoy her fish. Explain to her that touching his fins scares him and compare it to someone larger than her chasing her wanting to tickle. Good intentions are sometimes misunderstood.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:21 PM   #3 
aselvarial

If she is just uneducated, that can be fixed with a little bit of education. Laki gave the basics of betta care as I understand it. However, if basic education doesn't help, please go to your parents and ask for the fish to be handed into your care so that it too doesn't die.
aselvarial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:22 PM   #4 
KoPi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
It sounds to me like your sister thinks fish are toys. Tell her to have fun killing Ray.

In the meantime, you can encourage her to get a heater and warm his water. Bettas are tropical fish and require 78-82F stable temperatures. He needs his bowl cleaned twice a week with fresh conditioned water (drops from the pet store) and he needs a balanced high protein diet consisting of pellets and frozen worms.

How old is your sister? Chances are, she has NO clue that she's killing her fish and she cannot understand that the 2 male bettas killed each other because they cannot live together at all, naturally or artificially. So, if you're willing to show her good pet ownership, you'll have to remove the tank from her room (if you're allowed) and place it in a neutral zone where you and your sister frequent: kitchen, bathroom, living room. That way you can guarantee it gets proper care while she can enjoy her fish. Explain to her that touching his fins scares him and compare it to someone larger than her chasing her wanting to tickle. Good intentions are sometimes misunderstood.
My (little) sister is 11 years old. Do you buy the pellets and frozen worms separately? My sister is currently feeding him bettamin flakes. Is this okay? I don't believe she cleans the water either... Is a filter needed as well? Sorry, I only raised hamsters in my life :/
KoPi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:41 PM   #5 
ABETTAVOICE

Shes NOT mature enough yet to own and properly care for a betta fish. These fish go through enough pain and poor conditions at stores, let alone be taken home to endure more of the same. Take him under your wing and give him the care and love he deserves.
ABETTAVOICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:40 PM   #6 
Fin Fancier

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoPi View Post
My (little) sister is 11 years old. Do you buy the pellets and frozen worms separately? My sister is currently feeding him bettamin flakes. Is this okay? I don't believe she cleans the water either... Is a filter needed as well? Sorry, I only raised hamsters in my life :/
In a 1 gallon bowl a filter will only create a current that is unwanted by bettas. Consistent water changes will work just as well and allow you to keep your current set up without fiddling too much. At the very least the addition of a thermometer (a glass one that hangs inside the tank is most accurate) will let you see if the temperature of the water is suitable for the fish.
A lot of people don't suggest flakes for bettas as they can be easily overfed and can lead to bloating. The best quality pellets are Omega betta buffet, or New life spectrum. You can safely feed him 4 - 5 a day.
The worms referred to in a different post can refer to a variety of frozen treats people like to feed their betta. Bloodworms are common, but they'll also accept a variety of frozen treats, but treats are exactly what they are. The majority of his dietary needs will be met by the pellets, the frozen foods are more of an occasional dessert.
I'd say the most important step would be seeing if you can take over the primary care of the fish. Proper food and water changes will keep a betta healthy, but constantly being touched and chased will stress him out, and a stressed fish is prone to diseases that can and will kill him. If your little sister does not yet fully understand, it is very important that someone explains to her that betta fish can not live with other bettas. Maybe have the pet store person explain it to her when you're picking up fish supplies or something.

Last edited by Fin Fancier; 03-25-2014 at 08:50 PM.
Fin Fancier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:17 AM   #7 
kevonnn

Not completely relevant...

Each betta also has it's own personality and can grow bonds with different people, usually the feeder. I used to be able to pick mine up (as long as she allowed) without a single flutter. In this case...Ray probably hates your sister and having him around her won't make things any better. Sounds weird and crazy, but you would be surprised how different faces get different reactions. If he is always hiding, you know why. A stressed fish is a short lived fish. A happy one will live forever.
kevonnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 05:05 AM   #8 
Laki

To add to the frozen food treat advice given above, you should always remember to take a bit of the tank water in a small cup to thaw the worms before feeding! They shouldn't have frozen food straight from the freezer just like a hamster cannot have wet veggies. Like hamsters, bettas are tropical critters who NEED a nice warm place to stay.

At 11 she should have basic notions on fish care. I had sole responsibility of my pets beginning at around 9-10- however, those that died were my fault and I did have to learn the hard way. I hope your sister doesn't have to learn this way.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:42 PM   #9 
Hallyx
Reference Team

This is important information for you both to read,

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...h-care-232570/
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote