Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-12-2010, 08:34 AM   #1 
kpullen89

Smile Since I'm new, this is my story with Bettas

I decided to join this website because it's nice to know there are other people as crazy about Bettas as I am. I got my first Betta, Pyro, 3 years ago during my freshman year at college. Shortly after getting him I bought 3 other male bettas(in separate tanks of course) and named them, Captain Bubblesworth(cause thats just funny), Picasso(fish looks painted), and Champagne Supernova(bright orange guy) because I simply loved these fish. They're beautiful and hardy, and they traveled with me from college to home every summer and vice versa, no problem. I still have Pyro, Capt. Bubblesworth, and Picasso. Sadly, Champagne passed away last week, very sudden and it still confuses me why exactly he died. It could've been old age, he was approximately 4. I felt ridiculous crying over a fish, but 3 years is a long time and I got attached to these guys. I couldn't stand just feeding 3 fish every day so I decided to find a new Betta as my fourth. Now I have Topaz, little blue eyed crowntail male that cheers me up with his interesting colors. All the time I'm finding new ways to keep these guys happy and decorate their tanks. Its an awesome hobby, it just sucks when you lose one! Anyways, I'm hoping to gain more Betta knowledge on this website and learn other peoples' stories, so feel free to share!
kpullen89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:39 AM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. I'm sorry you lost Champagne. It's sad when we lose a pet we love so much. I'm glad you got another one. Bettas are very addicting. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:37 AM   #3 
vaygirl

Welcome! One thing we're good for is encouraging eachother to bring more of these little guys into our homes. They have such great personalities and they're all so varied. They're like little people.

Tango is my friendly little daredevil and my first betta. He's my avatar. I had him in a 1.5 tetra cube for 6 months so I could prove to my husband that I'd maintain the tank. I had a history of tank neglect when I was a sillier, younger girl. Many fancy guppies lost their lives. :(

I moved Tango into his own planted 16 gallon 6 months ago. He looked so tiny in there. I got some cories to add interest to his life. He follows them around all day. He hunts, always hoping to come upon some prey (poor thing). And he lets me pet him and or bites me. I never know which it will be. He eats from my fingers, I think that's why he bites me sometimes. He's my pal. Because of him I had to have two more. They're so different!

Whiskey lives in a planted hex 5 on my desk. I'm kinda with him all day. He's skittish. He flares at me. He spends all day pacing at the front and watching me. He tries to eat ANYTHING that drifts through his tank. He's kind of a pig. I'm pretty sure I've seen him eat blue green algae. Anything new that goes on my desk, coffee cup, pen, book, he eyeballs it for a while, flares at it, gives it the business.

Kilo is a big softie in a planted eclipse 6 that sits on a window sill between my kitchen and dining room. He's a half giant so he's bigger then the others. He's SO mellow. He never flares, not even at a mirror. He runs and hides. He has big brown eyes. He looks like a puppy. He's so graceful. I had no idea how quick plakats would be. He can stop and turn on a dime. He's really a joy to watch when he's swimming. He's like a big boat crusin' through the water.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:42 PM   #4 
kpullen89

Thanks! And yeah bettas are addicting!! Vaygirl, your fish have very cool personalities!
kpullen89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:58 PM   #5 
vaygirl

They become such a huge part of your life. I can understand why you'd need to replace the one you lost. They're special. No one can resist them once they've had one. Hehe.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 08:19 AM   #6 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Hi and welcome to the forum. I'm sorry you lost your buddy Champagne :(

You did exactly what most of us do when we lose a fish. We get another in their memory :)
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:58 AM   #7 
Jupiter

Welcome to the forums! Sorry you lost Champagne, but at least he lived a nice long life with you!

I have 15 bettas, so it would take a while to type about all of them. Lol. I'd love to get more, though. They're so addicting, just like everyone says! ;)
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:06 AM   #8 
cbirk

I have 1 Betta, and my GF has 3. I built up the gravel and what not in the corner of my 20 gal, and places a 1 gal bowl in it. So now my male crowntail (which my son has named Olivia haha) swims around and flares up at the yellow lab cichlids that come investigate him all the time.

He is a little escape artist and after find him hanging out with the two yellow labs a few times, I decided I needed to lower the water in his bowl a little to keep him from jumping out.
cbirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:24 PM   #9 
Kitch3ntools

:D welcome!! im very sorry about Champagne!

ive kept fish for such a long time! i started with goldfish when i was a jr in highschool i loved those little guys! i also had a blue betta in his own little home named Rylie he was a fun little man and was the one to start my love for Bettas. now that i no longer live with my parents (they were very cool about me having fish my mom was a HUGE enabler with fish too lolz) i gave Rylie to my little sister (who was 8 at the time) to take care of as she became attached. i was missing my little finned friend so i got Walter and he was with me for 3 years in his 10g all to himself, now i have 3 boys and 5 girls! i want more but i dont have room :)
Kitch3ntools is offline   Reply With Quote