Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-13-2010, 02:00 PM   #1 
Hadouken441

Plants At LFS

I want to get into live plants but I need to know which plants are you guys buying for your tanks?? I have a 10 gallon. I ask this question because i bought a White Ribbon at my LFS (petsmart) Then when i brought it home to research on it i found out its now even an aquariuam plant!!! Its even sold in the aquarium area! So Stupid... So i took it back and bought an Amazon sword but i hear they get huge. So can someone give me some names of the Plants that they sell at Petsmart///Petco so i know which ones to buy :D I think this would be a good thread for everybody too!
Hadouken441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 02:49 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

I wouldn't buy any plants from petsmart/petco.. they don't know what they're talking about with plants and the plants could come with all sorts of bad things.

If you want plants I would order off aquabid or highly rated sellers on ebay. The user mcgamer2000 on aquabid is very reliable. His website is www.bobstropicalplants.com and he can answer all your questions.

The type of plant you get depends on your substrate, wpg, and whether or not you are going to have a CO2 set up.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 04:00 PM   #3 
Noko

The only pet store in my area is Petsmart. The plants I have gotten there seem to be in good health so far. The little labels lie though. I got an onion sort of plant that's label said it got to be around 12 inches, I researched it, and it gets up to 1.5 meters... Java fern is one thing my petsmart has that I was happy about.

Always buy from a reputable plant seller though. I don't listen to my own advice, but that's because I am broke.
Noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 04:48 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

You can get cheap plants from a reputable seller. You can also look to see if there are any aquarium or betta clubs in your area to join.. local hobbyists are usually more than happy to give you cuttings of their plants for free (thats how I'm getting my plants). The sellers I look at on aquabid and ebay are very cheap as well.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 06:29 PM   #5 
ScuitoAmi150

I have an Aqua Fern from Petco. I love the thing! I've had it since Christmas as it is still going strong.
ScuitoAmi150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:15 PM   #6 
dr2b

I usually buy my plants at my LFS that is privately owned. I have bought a gorgeous Kleiner Bar sword at Petsmart that has done fantastic. It was a new shipment and it was amazing lol. I usually go for Wendtii Crypt, Amazon sword family members, and Java fern. I have multiple species of Cryptocoryne wendtii though. It's my favorite plant because it is so hardy. My amazon sword is doing well too. They've even stuck through when I had some nutrient issues due to the fertilizer I was using (which is now getting better thanks to Bryon - he's a lifesaver!). They key is getting great looking plants like I mentioned above at Petsmart or Petco. Ask them when their new shipments come in so you can get them fresh.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 01:42 AM   #7 
Hadouken441

Ok awesome I looked at that wendtii and i really like the way it looks! Gonna have to go buy some tomorrow lol! Thanks a lot guys.

Also i saw this one plant at petsmart that was already submerged in water. It looks like a pine tree?? (I guess) but its suuper soft to the touch. Is that an actual aquarium plant?? I would love having a background full of those
Hadouken441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:47 AM   #8 
dr2b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadouken441 View Post
Ok awesome I looked at that wendtii and i really like the way it looks! Gonna have to go buy some tomorrow lol! Thanks a lot guys.

Also i saw this one plant at petsmart that was already submerged in water. It looks like a pine tree?? (I guess) but its suuper soft to the touch. Is that an actual aquarium plant?? I would love having a background full of those
With wendtii you will probably experience cyrpt rot when you first put it in. They are sensitive to changes in environment. But they are so hardy that they come right back. You just clip off dead leaves as it experiences it. It is a VERY hardy plant.

The other plant, did it look like Cabomba? Cabomba looks like this: http://www.liveaquaria.com/images/ca...13-Cabomba.jpg
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote