Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-09-2010, 09:14 PM   #1 
Rain Drop

Oh great

/sarcasm.

So it seems like my little Caesar here is a tail biter. I always thought he was just blowing his fins but no....it's both D: At least it's not fin rot, but still....this is extremely frustrating. I know he's a tail biter for sure now because I caught the little bugger swimming in tight circles and his tail fin was getting progressively shorter. See, it'll start with him blowing his fins and then his just chews them down till only a third of his tail is left.

So now what? I always put salt in his tank water and add a small dose of melafix. It seems to speed up the healing. But right when he tail is almost complete, he'll destroy it. It's so beautiful when it's all long and flowy....

I just don't know what to do....
He's been like this ever since I got him last summer (back then I thought it was fin rot, but I've learned more since then). He seems happy enough.
He eats, I don't weekly 100% changes, I keep his water at 77-80.

Here's how he is now and his set up.
Sorry if the pictures are too big, I don't know how to make them smaller.....sorry for the storybook too D:
Attached Images

Rain Drop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:21 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

He looks like my freddie.

Try giving him some crushed garlic.. its a natural parasitic. That could be why he's biting his tail. Try warmer water, cleaner water, more plants, more flare time, less light, no light, toys. Just try different things until you can find his trigger.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:52 PM   #3 
Rain Drop

How much garlic? To eat, or put in his water?
Alright, I'm determined to find out what's up his butt O<

Thank-you c:

edit;
Oops, I meant to write "I do 100% weekly water changes"
on my first post
Dx

Last edited by Rain Drop; 02-09-2010 at 09:56 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:34 AM   #4 
1fish2fish

You might want to try more frequent water changes. When I have a bought of tail biting I do water changes daily for 10 days and add aquarium salt. Also raising the temp to 82* to kill off any parasites or bacteria that could be causing the problem

I'll have to look up how much garlic to feed.. I'll get back to you on that. There is also a homemade food you can make.. I'll have to get the lady's permission to crosspost first.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:27 AM   #5 
1fish2fish

Ok.. Here is the recipe for the homemade food. (Credit to Brenda on my other forum... Cross posted with permission.)

I use only human grade items and amounts vary depending on how much you want to make, I make large amount and freeze it.
1-2 Fresh raw or cooked shrimp
3-6 fresh spinach leaves...depends if you use baby spinach or frozen, either will work
2-4 fresh garlic cloves

I use a garlic press and crush the garlic and blanch the spinach so it is warm and wilted and use a fork of side or a knife to smash these two together and make a green garlic paste and I chop the shrimp and smash the green garlic paste all together so you have a "green garlic shrimp paste". I place this in a zip lock bag and smash flat and freeze to make it easier to break off what I need to feed.
You can vary 2 items to what you have, you can use peas instead of spinach and fish instead of shrimp, but use only fresh garlic.

She also said if you just want to mix it with your regular food its 2 parts garlic to 1 part food. Just crush it up and feed it to them. It will take about 6 weeks to see if its helping (natural always takes longer).. but on the plus side your fish will be really healthy. I fed this recipe to my guys after I got back from a 2 week vacation where they didn't get any food and after a week or two they were back to normal.

Like everything don't feed this solely.. make sure you have a mix of stuff you feed. You can freeze this food and feed a small bit at a time (thaw it out first).
Old 02-10-2010, 11:17 AM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Maybe this would be good to feed sick fish or fish who aren't eating for some reason.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:27 AM   #7 
1fish2fish

It would be.. its very nutritious and can be blended into a gel paste to feed fish that aren't eating. I swear by this stuff. Brenda who made up the recipe has been keeping and breeding bettas for 13 years and keeping fish for over 20 years. She is the first person I go to for advice (sort of my fish mentor). She really knows what she's talking about.

My old boy fish was very lethargic after I got back from christmas.. I put him in the hospital bowl and fed him this daily and it really got him back into top form.. even at 4+ years old he is still my best looking fish.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:15 AM   #8 
Rain Drop

Thank-you so much!!
I'll be sure to make a batch of this tomorrow.
I'm glad I already have all the ingredients at hand<3
Old 02-11-2010, 10:02 AM   #9 
1fish2fish

No problem... just remember its not a quick fix.. she said it can take up to 6 weeks to start seeing results... and thats IF he has parasites. If you see no results he probably is biting due to a stress related reason and thats the hard part where you just have to try to find his trigger.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:36 AM   #10 
TokyoBetta

Sorry to highjack this thread but I had a question about this recipe.

1fish2fish, how often should you feed them this?
I mean, 1 out of your 2-3 daily feedings?
A little at all 3 feedings?

Is there any danger of pellets becoming unappetizing?

Also, are there any greens that are strictly forbidden? Here in Japan they have lots of dark leafy greens but nothing I have been able to identify precisely as our Western spinach, everythings slightly one-off and a little different. Peas I can get though! If I use peas how much/many?
TokyoBetta is offline   Reply With Quote