Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-27-2014, 01:10 PM   #1 
Tangeh

Keeping osprey out of koi pond?

I used to keep koi in a pond in the backyard... they're super friendly beautiful fish and were really fun to have around. I trained them to eat out of my hand and everything! Unfortunately we started seeing osprey hanging around in the trees by the pond (we did see one dive in and steal a fish once, but we managed to scare it off and it dropped the fish who turned out to be okay), and eventually the fish all disappeared so I can surmise what happened.

I didn't restock the pond last year (we took the opportunity to replace the entire lining), but the osprey would almost do a "fly-by" every so often and it wasn't uncommon to see them perched in the trees above the pond. It's almost like they're waiting for me to put more fish in.

Google is yielding few results, so... anybody have experience and/or suggestions on how to keep the osprey out?? I don't want to put more fish in only for them to be eaten. :/
Tangeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:16 PM   #2 
haveyouhadyourteayet

I know people use fake plastic snakes to keep pest birds away... Maybe use a fake anaconda or something? What eats ospreys?
haveyouhadyourteayet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:29 PM   #3 
Tangeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveyouhadyourteayet View Post
I know people use fake plastic snakes to keep pest birds away... Maybe use a fake anaconda or something? What eats ospreys?
I... I don't think anything eats ospreys. It's a type of raptor and as far as I know those are typically at the top of their food chains. I live in Canada anyways. Snakes are rare and harmless.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:13 PM   #4 
haveyouhadyourteayet

I'm seeing that bigger birds of prey can sometimes bully them, maybe get a giant eagle thing?
Also saw that they can be drowned if they go for a fish that's too big - you could rig up an osprey trap. Some delicious salmon looking decoy... that pulls down into the water when it gets pulled upwards?

Idk if it's learned or genetic, but try putting some bright colored fake snakes out there, see if they avoid it.
haveyouhadyourteayet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 02:24 PM   #5 
Tangeh

I'm pretty sure it's illegal to kill birds of prey (I wouldn't feel okay drowning the things regardless).

The giant eagle and snakes would at least scare off the neighbourhood kids that love our backyard, hahaha.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:28 PM   #6 
BettaNubRandyLove

I don't own koi but I do love researching fish. Around a year ago in my readings I saw that you can cover a koi pond with netting. This may be more unsightly and annoying but it still may be better than losing your fish. There are various resources online that can teach you how to build a custom cover or you can buy one.
BettaNubRandyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:34 PM   #7 
Tangeh

I own netting and we just kinda draped it over the pond, but I was worried about the fish getting stuck in it so we took it off. I think what you're supposed to do is tie it over the pond, but it's kinda hard because one half of the pond is a large waterfall and I could only get over there by physically getting into the pond... and even then idk what I'd tie it to. I'd have to make sure the waterfall wouldn't hit it too... meh. Something to look into, anyways.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:28 AM   #8 
sandybottom
Reference Team

could you use tent stakes to tightly secure it over the inhabited sections of the pond? i do not think you would have to put it right up to the waterfall.i would not think the osprey could fit through.
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:12 PM   #9 
Hallyx
Reference Team

The best Osprey deterrent I've ever seen was monofilament fishline strung across the pond at random angles and intervals, inches above the surface; sort of a large-skein do-it-yourself net with spaces big enough for you to do maintenance.

You can hardly see it but, I guarantee you, the Osprey can ....and will avoid it.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:11 PM   #10 
Tangeh

I like the fishing line idea, if the osprey would truly avoid that. Less unsightly than the net, for sure. I'll look into it when it warms up (we had a blizzard and two feet of snow two days ago... so uh probably mid-May).