Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-11-2011, 06:23 AM   #1 
Tikibirds

Petco's advice on breeding

i went to petco for a sponge filter and couldn't find them anywhere. So I ask the lady who was talking to the fish while cleaning it. She said "oh, you are breeding". I'm like "yup" because I really did not want any advice from her or any other employee there. She tells me if I have any question to ask as she is a breeder herself. Long story short, she tells me the reason the pair haven't spawned yet is this:

I need to put 3 females in my breeding tank and let the male decide which one he wants to spawn with and he will usually end up spawning with all 3 females. She then tells me it's almost impossible to get them to spawn and she "knows" because she is a breeder. I told her, well they DID spawn a few weeks ago but the male ate the eggs. She said males DO NOT eat the eggs, he was just blah blah blah..I told her NO, I am 100% positive he ATE them ALL. She still insists males will never do that.

I was like If you are so good with fish then why are all the bettas clamped and look diseased??

Nothing I have read had ever mentioned putting 3 loose females in a breeding tank with a male. I did hear that you can put two males, one in a jar and the breeding one loose in the tank to help stimulate the breeding instincts of the female and vice versa for the male...
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:31 AM   #2 
Myates

Sigh...
Attached Images

Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:59 AM   #3 
Tikibirds

Awwwh, that pic is cute.

I would really like to know where their employees get their info from.

I had to take her out of the girls tank for aggression, plus she ripped the fins off her last breeding partner (poor guy, got beat up by a fat girl). I could just imagine her in a tank with a male and two other females .
Old 10-11-2011, 08:31 AM   #4 
Myates

Exactly.. sometimes ya just gotta bite your tongue and walk away. But dangit it's so hard to do... that's when you turn around and throw a container of fish food at them from a distance and run away. Fast.
Kidding.
Somewhat.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:37 AM   #5 
Laki

I think when pet store employees have a hobby, like her 'breeding', they get on a set of airs which sets them apart.. In their minds. Ignorance is key btw. Instead of being open to suggestions and talking about different methods she simply blundered you down and aired as if her method was the best. Which it don't sound like it is. Anyway. This is a character flaw. Has nothing to do with Petco. I'm actually surprised when large chain pet stores hire people who have a bit of knowledge (not in her case, but that's why she got the job). The Petsmart here hires people based on their pet knowledge and experience. I mean I've heard some dumb things too out of the fish room but still it's better than nothing. Could have some bored 16 yr olds in there just waiting around for their shift to end (as in the Pets Unlimited here)..
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:09 AM   #6 
Tikibirds

I just had to open my mouth and ask about the sponge filter. I'm kinda surprised they don't carry them.

I go in there alot, almost daily because I can take my dog in the store and he likes to eat all the goodies on the floor. They do have one lady that know alot about fish, but I think she either works mornings or she is part time. I seldom see her in the evenings :(

to be a wise guy, I should of asked if I can just let him loose into my soroity - then he can have his pick of the 10 ladies.

She did tell me to get frozen bloodworms instead of using freeze dried for conditioning. I looked for it before but never saw it. ( I though all the food in the freezer was for the reptiles, so i never bothered to look in it) but then she told me they are ready when the white spot is visible. I was like, uhhh...the white spot is always visible on females....

Last edited by Tikibirds; 10-11-2011 at 09:16 AM.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:32 PM   #7 
Sena Hansler

Every time I go into a pet store I try going in ready knowing stuff. So if I do ask about anything, I'll know if they actually know anything :p like, when I went in already knowing AQ salt helps with mild ich, just with raising temps and such.. The girl says "if you don't use ich medication they'll die." -looks at my fish- yes. So dead. Look at the dead fish swimming... ><
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:48 PM   #8 
MrVampire181

her info isn't wrong entirely. but yes males will eat eggs on occasion and there is no way putting 3 females in a spawn tank is a good idea. her advice is practical for a pond or large tank set up.

I would hate to see a totally 100% never researched person going in there and doing what she said.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:12 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

Yeah I HAVE heard of that method but it's in rice paddies and such..
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:48 PM   #10 
MrVampire181

I have several females with two males in a 30 gallon. I get spawning on occasion but never live fry.

do not try this set up until you're very experienced.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote