Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-14-2010, 02:34 PM   #1 
Olivia21

Question I need help with my first breeding.....

So i have all i need to breed my two bettas, Spike & Pearl. I have my thermometer, heater, and filter. Im using a 10 gallon tank 3/4 filled. the water temp is always at 76-78. there is a plant in the tank. i have a tank hood and the tank is in a low activity area. i conditioned both Spike and Pearl for a week in both their own fish bowls. i had been feeding Spike hikari betta bio gold and live brine shrimp and the same for Pearl. during that week i left the filter on so that i knew the water would be safe and ready. I also treated the water with Aqua Safe. after the week I noticed that her white spot was protuding under her belly between her bottom fins so i put Spike in the tank first left him in for a good two hours before i released him in the tank. after the first day of him in the tank i put Pearl inside the tank within a plasitc clear container. he flared at her and did his thing showing off and what not lol. Her stripes came out and she followed his direction within the container wherever he went so i knew she was interested. Its been about three days now and i noticed he still hasnt made his bubble nest. there are a few bubbles around the tank and the foam cup but not a complete one the way i see others. Am I doing something wrong or am i missing something? I would really like to know and any answer would be alot of help.
Attached Images

Olivia21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 02:43 PM   #2 
doggyhog

Sound like your pretty well set. Give him more time. He may or may not build a nest. Do NOT release her until he builds a nest.

I personally would that the filter you have in there OUT. Those filter are way to strong for the fry and will often suck them right up. ): I suggest a corner filter or sponge filter.

Just making sure, how are you as far as food for the fry goes?
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 02:44 PM   #3 
doggyhog

Oh, you might want to get a different heater too, because bettas like to breed at temps of 82-83 degrees. It might make him build a nest.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:01 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. I would recommend turning up the heat, as doggyhog suggested. Also, add another plant or two, not only for the female to have a place to hide but also for the fry.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 03:41 PM   #5 
Olivia21

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggyhog View Post
Sound like your pretty well set. Give him more time. He may or may not build a nest. Do NOT release her until he builds a nest.

I personally would that the filter you have in there OUT. Those filter are way to strong for the fry and will often suck them right up. ): I suggest a corner filter or sponge filter.

Just making sure, how are you as far as food for the fry goes?

For the fry my husband and I ordered 12oz containers for when they get older just incase they get aggressive and as for food for the fry we bought Frozen Brine Shrimp the Sallys San Francisco Bay Brand. Should i buy other types too?
Old 02-14-2010, 03:49 PM   #6 
doggyhog

Well, fry will not know that frozen food is food. They will only eat Live food. Such as newly hatched brine shrimp and microworms.

If you haven't already, read these sites for info.

Bettatalk.com read the breeding and rearing fry section
bettysplendens.com
Old 02-14-2010, 05:18 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Here is a sticky that might answer some of your questions. http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...-bettas-30005/
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:39 PM   #8 
Olivia21

Thanks guys i really appreciate your feedback!!! :)
Old 02-15-2010, 01:26 PM   #9 
Chicklet

It's really not that complicated to breed betta's, Males are not always in the mood,
Most females carry at least a few eggs.

All I do is throw a female in with a male every now and again, If he's interested he'll take right to building his nest, If he's made no attemp within 24 hours remove the female and try again in a week or two.
Keep the temps warm around 80, Styrofoam cup cut in half lengthwise, As for food, The easiest is to keep lots of floating plants like Watersprite, a sponge filter and the baby fry can and will survive two weeks on that, in which time you can start to feed tiny crumpled flakes,. It's easy, When you fret about having babies it'll seem like nothing ever happens,
I have a batch right now I just noticed this morning, two weeks old, Fed them today for the first time, Dads still with them too, He's a good dad, unlike some.

Let nature take its course and give dad a break if he's not in the mood.

I don't usually encourage people to breed their betta's because so many end up misused now,
As for tank size you can bred them in tiny containers, But bigger is always far better, otherwise you end up having to move fry when their still very tiny and that can end in disaster.

The batch I have now was born in a 3 gallon tank and will remain there for some time yet....

Last edited by Chicklet; 02-15-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:54 PM   #10 
gobble

I've just bought a couple of crown tails 4 days ago from LFS and put them together from the very first day I bought them in a 4 G tank with gravel, plastic plants, a couple of 4 days gubby fry and fed them live tubifex and freeze dried blood worms. I'm keeping them at 25C (77F) and today they spawned!!! I never intended to do that, but it happened... I removed the female and the male is guarding the nest. I'll feed the fry (if any make it) BBS. I have nothing else to offer them or prepare at this short notice, never started infusoria culture in my life, still I've been breeding angels for some time now and I hope I can do it with betta.
I guess this fish is moody, sometime everything works perfectly and some other times no luck at all. Guess I was lucky so far :)
gobble is offline   Reply With Quote