Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-16-2010, 11:13 AM   #11 
Chicklet

Quote:
I have nothing else to offer them or prepare at this short notice, never started infusoria culture in my life,
If you had lots of floating LIVE plants in the tank like watersprite the young will eat the infushia created from that enough to survive 2 weeks, in which time you can feed finely crumbled flaked foods,

You can also feed this, it's quick and easy, most walmarts sell it.
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:45 AM   #12 
gobble

well, the eggs hatched. still not free swimmers yet, but they hatched. Boy, I didn't expect them to bet that tiny, there is no chance they'd ever consume BBS!!! I guess this batch is history already. I'll try some fry food and see if they make it, also I'll do my work and prepare some yummy BBS. Hope if they ever spawn again I'd be ready for it. At least I know I have an excellent non baby eating father
gobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:12 PM   #13 
Chicklet

Quote:
I guess this batch is history already.
So did you not even try to get some of the liquid small fry food I posted a picture of?
I know some people feed boiled egg yolks masked and claim it works great,
I have never had the desire to try, But if it's all you have to offer it beats nothing.

You should look into investing in lots of Floating watersprite,
The wee tiny betta's can survive off the live infushia from it alone for weeks.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:25 PM   #14 
gobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicklet View Post
So did you not even try to get some of the liquid small fry food I posted a picture of?
This food is not available where I live, and ordering would take forever (I'm not in the states)

I guess boiled egg yolk would foul the water so much, and I'd better avoid it. I'll try freshly hatched BBS and some powered fry food I have a grab on.
The father is really doing great. He is a white crowntail. I'm so proud of him.

Definitely I'll use floating plants next time. Actually I intend to prepare a spawning tank with dense floating plants ready for the parents to do their job.
after 2 weeks being feed on the plants, do you feed them live food or just powered flakes ?
Old 02-17-2010, 04:30 PM   #15 
dramaqueen
Banned

Fry usually do best with live food.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 05:43 PM   #16 
Chicklet

Live food is most definitely the best to feed if you can get access to or grow it,
The young will do better and more will survive.

If you don't have access to the Wardley small fry and no tiny live foods then your young fry are pretty much doomed

Flaked food will work only after 2 weeks of age,
Just Run it thru a mini chopper or something similar until its a fine powder,

Quote:
(I'm not in the states)
neither am I
Old 02-21-2010, 03:05 PM   #17 
gobble

A follow up to my spawn. I removed the father after seeing a couple of free swimming fry. I put him in a betta cage (which holds two fishes at the same time with a sliding barrier in between them) with the female (separated from each other but visible to each other).
I never fed the fry. I tried BBS but when I compared size of fry with that of BBS, I was afraid that BBS would eat the fry (LOL). So, I just added a sponge filter that has been running for ages in one of my angel tanks. Just now, I discovered a few well sized fry in the tank!!!! they are as big as a newly hatched angel fry. what did they eat ?? I have no live plants in the tank!!!
Another strange thing happened too. the father is building a huge bubble nest in that tiny betta cage!!! the cage is like 6 X 3 inches !!! His nest is anchored to the sliding barrier, to let the female in, I'll wreck his nest.
Just wanted to update my news.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:51 PM   #18 
MrVampire181

Get that filter out and lower the water level, put the heater on the bottom of the tank and you should be good. The heater on the ground makes it easier to clean without a fire hazard.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:57 AM   #19 
Chicklet

They could be eating the tiny microscopic infushia that grows on sponge filters,
Also if there is algae present on the tank walls,
I run sponge filters in all my Fry tanks and I never lower the water level,
Plus I keep gravel in the bottoms of all my tanks, Which everyone freaks out over!
I do nothing special or different to the tanks then I do from the adults and I gets oodles of young fry that flourish just nicely.. To each his own success, So if you find somethings working for you, don't knock it, Just keep doing it!.

Last edited by Chicklet; 02-24-2010 at 11:02 AM.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:36 PM   #20 
dramaqueen
Banned

Everyone has their own way of doing things. What works for one person may not work for someone else.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote