Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Memorials
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-28-2014, 08:17 PM   #1 
PoissonsMom

Unhappy Farewell Poisson, my old friend...

I was truly blessed to share the last 3 years with a beautiful, and gentle Betta. I'm still trying 2 accept that he's gone, but I know he was suffering. As much as it pained me to do so, I had 2 euthanize sweet Poisson this afternoon. I've fought with this difficult & delicate issue, torn between my own selfish desire to keep him, and the need to put an end to his suffering. Through days of emotional turmoil, I finally chose to do what was best for him. I felt terrible about it, but I know he is swimming happily, and free of illness, beneath the Rainbow Bridge. My son was oblivious until about 15min ago.... He noticed his lifeless tank & asked me in a panicked tone, "Mommy, where mine Poisson go?" Thinking to myself "how do I explain this to a 2yr old?", I broke down in tears. I'm still crying, as I write this.... My beloved friend is gone. I never thought one could get so emotional over a fish, but I am a wreck! I wish I'd been able to successfully breed him & his legacy live on thru his fry, but he was just to gentle of a soul, and was content to live out his days never spawning. I can honestly say Poisson was one of a kind...and his passing has left a gash in my heart. I only wish I knew what to tell my son... Poisson was his buddy, and responded best to him. He had him trained to surface with 4 taps, and come to the front and socialize, with 2 taps. Nobody taught my son how to train a fish, he just did it on his own... In any event, my prayers are with Poisson as he passes thru he entrance to Eternity, and frolicks in the warm waters below the rainbow bridge....

R.I.P. Poisson
PoissonsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:41 PM   #2 
ricepattyfish5

Oh my... I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I saw his name and my heart immediately dropped. I always saw your user name and saw threads and posts where you talked about him -- it's just something I recognized right away. I am so sorry about your loss. I will send Fishy and Corsaro to meet him and swim with him in the betta heaven. They will be happy to have a new friend :) I know this is hard, I lost Corsaro the day before my birthday -- I only had him 8 months. And we lost Fishy almost exactly a year to the day that we got him and each time it was extremely difficult. My oldest, Iggy, would have been with me three years next month and he is slowing down in his old age, but I am just trying to stay positive and keep him healthy. I am so sorry again and I hope you can find SOME sort of comfort from my blabbering. :( SIP Poisson
ricepattyfish5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:16 PM   #3 
PoissonsMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricepattyfish5 View Post
Oh my... I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I saw his name and my heart immediately dropped. I always saw your user name and saw threads and posts where you talked about him -- it's just something I recognized right away. I am so sorry about your loss. I will send Fishy and Corsaro to meet him and swim with him in the betta heaven. They will be happy to have a new friend :) I know this is hard, I lost Corsaro the day before my birthday -- I only had him 8 months. And we lost Fishy almost exactly a year to the day that we got him and each time it was extremely difficult. My oldest, Iggy, would have been with me three years next month and he is slowing down in his old age, but I am just trying to stay positive and keep him healthy. I am so sorry again and I hope you can find SOME sort of comfort from my blabbering. :( SIP Poisson
Thank u... Poisson had been with us for a little over 3 yrs... And I'm sure he was well over a yr old when I found him. He was a special guy, unlike any other betta I've ever had, or will ever have again. And to think he was a "garden variety" Walmart CT! His memory lives on, and I'm sure that ur boys will help him find comfort in fishie nirvana! I only just realized about 2 weeks ago that he was a Giant CT, which from what I've read about them, explains his gentle demeanor. I tried my best to keep him healthy, but old age finally made him so weak he couldn't even eat anymore. He went thru a lot with us... Moving from TX, to AL, then FL, and back to Alabama. Each time he took it in stride, never getting over stressed, tho at one point, some of his tank-mates (male guppies) nearly killed him. He had his own 3.5g tank for the last 6-8mo of his life, and until recently, "Owned" it, lol. He was quite funny at times & even had a brief love affair with this funky, purplish plastic plant I placed in the corner of his tank... He often would embrace it, as if trying 2 spawn w/ it.... A FREAKING PLANT!!! Over the last several weeks, I watched him slow to the point I thought we'd lost him on several occasions, he was having trouble surfacing for food & air (it took all he had toward the end), until finally he refused to eat. This went on for over a week, and I couldn't bear to let him go that way. I knew euthanasia really was the only option. I already miss him terribly, but I know he's finally at peace. It was a difficult decision, but in the end, I'm glad that I had enuf love for him to end his suffering. I've never had to do something like this b4.... But it gives me peace knowing he's free....
Old 03-28-2014, 11:11 PM   #4 
cheekysquirrel

I'm so sorry for your loss I'm also sorry that you had to make such a difficult decision. It was a very brave thing to do. It sounds like he had a long and wonderful life, and he was very lucky to have you.
cheekysquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:16 AM   #5 
PoissonsMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekysquirrel View Post
I'm so sorry for your loss I'm also sorry that you had to make such a difficult decision. It was a very brave thing to do. It sounds like he had a long and wonderful life, and he was very lucky to have you.
Thank u..... He was part of our family, and it's hard letting go. I'll always remember the gentle giant he was, and pray that he finds tru peace under the rainbow bridge.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:53 PM   #6 
Wiggyl

I'm so sorry ]= I know it was a hard decision
Wiggyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:17 AM   #7 
PoissonsMom

^Thx.... It really was hard, but atleast he's not suffering any more.... Knowing this helped me make the right decision. He lived a long, healthy life, and will always live in my heart.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:41 PM   #8 
Indigo Betta

I'm sorry for your loss. He lived to a really good age, and you gave him such a lot of love.

SIP Poisson.

Last edited by Indigo Betta; 04-02-2014 at 12:44 PM.
Indigo Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:05 PM   #9 
PoissonsMom

^thx IndigoBetta, he was a special boy & I miss him terribly. He's better off now, finally at peace, beneath the Rainbow Bridge.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:37 PM   #10 
Ghostie

I've had to put down several fishes before...never fun.
Ghostie is offline   Reply With Quote