Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-20-2010, 01:30 PM   #1 
Blue

I just got [Blue] Mooney about a week ago. I picked him out because he was the most active betta I'd ever seen... and I figured he would be a nice change after a previous betta (RIP Bones) who was a bit on the lazy side. He also had to endure over an hour car trip back which probably stressed him out big time, which could have led to what I'm about to describe.

A couple days after I got him I noticed that he had this kind of... lighter patch of scales right on his belly(ish) area under his gills. I guess it looks a tiny bit gray. He was also fairly inactive that day but the next day was swimming around as ever with the discoloration still there. I wasn't sure what to do so I went to a family owned petstore and they said that it's possible it's a fungal infection (that's what it look closest to when I checked it out online), and they said that using the anti-fungal stuff just in case won't hut him.

I've been using a little bit less than the dose meant for mine, and he's swimming around happy as ever, and I'm just a bit worried because I know the greenish tint is normal but I want him to be getting enough oxygen and everything. He's eating fine (pig) and puffing out at me as we speak.. little punk.

I'm wondering should I just finish the cycle of the meds or if this is something like that can it go away on its own? I'm already super attached to my little Mooney and just really unsure as to what I should be doing.

Any input would be much appreciated. I also tried to take a picture but my phone isn't good enough and the messaging isn't working for images.

Also, you all would have been very proud of me... there was a poor betta who only had like an inch and a half of water, and who was flipping about and I took him write off the shelf and made one of the employees add water. Poor guy :(

Last edited by dramaqueen; 02-20-2010 at 04:10 PM.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 01:38 PM   #2 
Romad
TFK Moderator

If you start a course of meds, you should continue with the advice on the length of time on the bottle. It's like us tanking an antibiotic. Even if you think things are looking better and stop treatment, it might not be enough to eliminate the problem.

What meds. are you using? Some are less invasive than others. Ideally, you start out with the ones that are more gentle and if they don't work after the full length of treatment, give a break of a day or two, remove the first dose of meds. in the tank by adding back the charcoal filtration, and go to plan B (antibiotic like Tetracycline).
Romad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 01:50 PM   #3 
Blue

I'm using the API Liquid Fungus Cure
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 03:39 PM   #4 
Romad
TFK Moderator

I don't have that one on hand. I would follow the directions including how much water changing they recommend and take it from there.

Good luck.
Romad is online now   Reply With Quote