Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-18-2010, 07:07 PM   #1 
SoulSong

New tank - happy little fish!

With help from folks here I bought an Eclipse 3 for my little guy. Took a while to get the temp balanced (I think because of the granite countertops) but once I had it stable at 78-80 I moved Sherlock. Was a little worried about the filter, but after about 30 minutes he seemed totally unphased by it. He even built a bubblenest yesterday (day 2)!

2 Questions: What should I be doing about water changes? How much, how often?

I've seen recommendations for aquarium salt to help maintain health, help heal fins. Sherlock has a ragged edge on one from when he jumped out of the old tank when I was doing a water change - scared the dickens out of me! How much is advised in a 3 gal?

Attached is a picture of the new tank. Hard to catch Sherlock - he's having too much fun to pose! Name:  Eclispe3.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  68.0 KB
SoulSong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:21 PM   #2 
sandystar

That is an adorable tank!

I would suggest getting a self starting gravel cleaner so when you do water changes you can get the crud out from between the pebbles as well as drain the water with ease!

It works wonders in my 10gal and 1.5 gal.

As for your questions honestly I don't know, but I would suggest twice a week at a gallon. Since you have a filter and all. ( I do 1 gallon twice a week for my 1.5 gal)

Congrats on the new tank. :)
sandystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:32 PM   #3 
vaygirl

I have the same little cave. That's such a cute setup. He's gonna love it and love it some more!
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:50 AM   #4 
SoulSong

I should have been more specific on tank size. This is a 3 gallon tank. My first tank was only 1 gallon. For that I was doing 50% water changes every other day with 100% change once a week. I bought this one at Petsmart. The clerk there said he did only a 10% water change once a week for his betta in the same tank with the mechanical filter running constantly (as it is in my tank). That just doesn't sound right to me, but Sherlock hates the water changes & I don't want to stress him more than necessary. Advice, anyone?
Old 02-19-2010, 10:10 AM   #5 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Do you have a filter for the tank? If it's cycled you won't need to do as many water changes and you can just sift through the bottom with a syfine(sp?). I would do 100% water changes once a week. I do 100% water changes twice a week for my 2.5G's to keep them super clean because I'm a clean freak like that.haha :P
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:26 AM   #6 
SoulSong

The Eclipse3 system has a motor-driven filter, filter cartridge (replace every 2-4 weeks), & a 'Bio-Wheel' (never needs replacing). Water is pulled up through the intake, flows over the filter cartridge which also seems to catch a lot of debris, through the 'Bio-Wheel' which spins around as the water flows over it, and back into the tank.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:47 PM   #7 
dr2b

With the Eclipse 3, I'd be doing 10 to 15% weekly. You don't need to change as much due to having the bio-wheel and filter. As for the aquarium salt, I think it tells you on the back of the box how much for every gallon. I always dissolve it in a different container and then pour it in the tank.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 02:03 PM   #8 
Jupiter

It's normally 1/2 tsp per gallon. Lovely tank! He seems to be loving it. I love that thread-like red plant in the back-where'd you find that?
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 02:38 PM   #9 
SoulSong

Thank you all - for both the advice & the compliments! I'm having fun setting up the tank, and Sherlock is clearly enjoying his new space.

The red silk plant is from All Pets Club. There are only 2 of them, both in my area (http://www.allpetsclub.com) They have a large fish department & a large selection of silk plants. I don't remember the brand of this one, but if you like I will check next time I go & get back to you.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:14 PM   #10 
Neelie

love the colours!!! nothing beats a really colourful playful tank!
Neelie is offline   Reply With Quote