Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-15-2010, 07:43 AM   #11 
ScuitoAmi150

I use BettaFix. I will say that it does not always work, sometimes my fish's fins will heal in a day, sometimes they will take a week. All with using BettaFix. But with torn fins, who can really say that it helped them heal faster? A tear in a different spot will heal at a different time, a tear in the same spot as the first time will probably heal slower. Too many variables.
But it has never done anything bad to my bettas, and I always add it just in case.
ScuitoAmi150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:24 AM   #12 
kelly528

I think a big think that people forget is that Melafix and Bettafix are NOT magic bullets by any means. The only active ingredient in thses madications is Tea-Tree Oil, which is an antiseptic and nothing more. It will not 'heal' or 'grow' anything, simply prevent previously uninfected wounds from getting infected. Glorified rubbing alcohol, if you will.

So if sterilizing a wound is indeed what you want to do, go for it. But for people claiming it heals their fish in a day or a week or whatever, what they are seeing is the power of their own fishkeeping, not some potion that claims to 'fix' their fish.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:19 AM   #13 
1fish2fish

I try to stay away from medications as much as possible. I've found that for torn or bitten fins a week of aquarium salt, daily water changes, and warm temps (82-84*) really helps. When it comes to medications, especially controversial ones, I just try to go a different route.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:44 PM   #14 
LisaC144

I had to medicate my betta when I first got him. He had some sort of internal parasite and eye cloud. I used a mix of Pimafix Melafix AT MUCH LOWER DOSES, and my fish made a full recovery. I was extremely worried that I was going to lose him and just like you, was very worried about using Melafix. I put MAYBE 1/4 the dose in for one week (probably even less), and he's a brand new fish. Now, however, it does say on the instructions not to do a pwc until 7 days later, but I did a pwc every 3 days just to be safe. Hope this helps.
LisaC144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:57 PM   #15 
SmirffyLover189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artarmon View Post
I have a medicine dropper in my cupboard so I got a glass and I mixed 3 drops of the Melafix into the whole glass of water... now If I were to use a couple of drops of the mixed water (which I will leave to sit to make sure the medication is mixed in) would that be alright?
I really don't want to have to buy different medication after I went all the way into the city and paid the money for that one =S
Well when my male and female fish got together and tore eachothers fins I used bettafix its kinda like malafix but specifically for bettas at petco its blue and is in the shape of a fish it treats 5gals.its usually right next to the betta fishes at petco and smirffys fins grew back beautifully
SmirffyLover189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 05:44 PM   #16 
dramaqueen
Banned

I've had no problem with BettaFix but I did with Melafix.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:40 PM   #17 
ScuitoAmi150

BettaRevive is also a really awesome medicine. But maybe too strong for what you are looking for.
ScuitoAmi150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:04 PM   #18 
xxabc

About Melafix - yes, it does severely affect ALL labryinth fish (so in our case, bettas). Even at normal doses for other fish, for labryinth fish, it's considered an overdose. There's a certain chemical(?) in there that's simply NOT. GOOD. for betta and at normal doses, again, it's considered an overdose for them.
Especially if you see floating, unconsciouness, other "weird" stuff, do immediate water changes. I wouldn't even try with melafix honestly. I stick with aquarium salt, and daily garlic-soaked foods. And lots and lots of love. :)
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:16 PM   #19 
Artarmon

Hey thanks for all the insights everyone...
I went past the aquarium store on my way home from work today- still no aquarium salt in (damn)- and I can't afford to fork out the money for bettafix at the moment (it's only $12 but I really just don't have the moeny unless I wanna go without dinner again- lol).

I guess for now I will make even more regular half water changes to make sure that the environ,ment is clean which will aid the healing process I guess.

-sigh-
Why do so many fish stores reccomend melafix if it does no good for bettas D: I even specifically said I wanted it for my betta and she said it would be the best.
Man I'm annoyed at that...
Artarmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:23 PM   #20 
1fish2fish

Do you have Wal-marts in Australia?? Or a store like it? I know here they have aquarium salt in wal-marts.

A stupid petstore employee told me bettafix would help my guy once.. they really don't know what they're talking about. I actually had one guy argue with me when I said that they need to be in heated tanks... I reported him to the store manager.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote