Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-15-2010, 02:38 PM   #1 
vixie1600

Safe number of betas in a tank?

I'm looking at getting a 75 gallon tank. I currently have four male betas in separate tanks, but I'm thinking about putting them in the 75 gallon tank along with other compatible fish. I'd like to make sure that that would be enough space for them to form their own territories so they don't fight with each other before I just stick them in there. Thanks everyone!
vixie1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:07 PM   #2 
Betta Fish Bob
Banned

Unfortunately, it would only take one encounter, and the more aggressive fish would chase the wimpier one (ones). You would still need dividers.
Betta Fish Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:51 PM   #3 
ScuitoAmi150

I wish you could do that. But they would explore and wander into another one, they would fight.
ScuitoAmi150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 04:24 PM   #4 
Hidr

You can't do that well males. You can with females if you add enough and have tons of hiding places.
Hidr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 04:56 PM   #5 
1fish2fish

I agree with everyone else. ONLY experienced breeders who have raised males together from fry should try this. You can't put full grown adult males together one day and expect them to live together.. it will end in death.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:26 PM   #6 
2brown347

I agree with 1fish2fish. It can be done, but shouldn't be done except by experienced betta keepers. From everything I've heard in a really large tank they don't need to be from the same batch of fry, but they have to be keep with clear dividers for a really long time so they establish territories, and if they flare at eachother it's time to move to a new pair. 75 gallons is big enough to house multiple males (since their territories wouldn't take the whole tank and in theory shouldn't go into each other territories) but it's not a good idea.

You could put a lot of females in there and go with a asian black water biotope (not exactly a betta biotope but it's the closest thats affordible IMO) and you'd have a great looking tank.

There are some wild bettas that you could put multiple males and females in there but you'd really need to do your research since they require a bit more than a common betta.
2brown347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:47 AM   #7 
vixie1600

Thanks everyone! I'm planning on introducing them two at a time into the big tank. Before they're introduced to that tank they'll be in the 10 gallon 'holding tank' with separators between them. They've all been 'introduced' to each other in their separate little tanks and the flaring and aggressive displays have stopped. So I don't think we'll have too many issues. Hopefully they'll be alright. We'll be watching carefully for any issues if they happen to arise.

We're not exactly beginners at this (my boyfriend and myself), we've both successfully had beta males together in much smaller tanks than the 75 gallon one without dividers, and he's managed to breed betas before. I just wanted to make sure that, theoretically speaking, 75 gallons should be big enough for the four. We have our backup tanks ready in case there are any issues! The 75 gallon is up and running, we're waiting for it to filter out nicely before we introduce plants to the tank, then the fish. So here's hoping our boys play nice so they can all have a nice big tank!
Old 02-16-2010, 01:50 AM   #8 
Hidr

LOL I have got to know why you asked if your going to do what you want anyways?
Old 02-16-2010, 10:20 AM   #9 
vixie1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidr View Post
LOL I have got to know why you asked if your going to do what you want anyways?
As I pointed out in my last post, I wanted to make sure that theoretically, that's enough space for four of them.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:16 PM   #10 
Hidr

And you were told no there is not. But I guess that answers my question. Thank you