Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-15-2010, 05:16 PM   #1 
kuklachica

Buddies for bettas that aren't ILLEGAL?!?!?!

Arg! I have looked into getting ADFs, shrimp, or snails for any of my guys (before I divided their tanks) but they're all ILLEGAL here!!!!!!!! I also tried to order some salvinia (frogbit) to add to my tanks so they guys can have something REAL to build their nests on.... but, you guessed it! ILLEGAL!! ARG!!!

What other things are there that are easy to care for and don't create a huge amount of waste that aren't ILLEGAL?? Buddies or plants??
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 05:22 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

Why is it illegal?

Java moss can float and looks nice, as well as duckweed. There's another that I can't think of.

ADFs, Snails, and shrimp IMO are the only good tank mates for Bettas. Depending on the size of your tank you could try some corys.. but they have to be in groups and need at least 10 gallons (undivided) IMO.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 05:28 PM   #3 
kuklachica

Don't know why... when I've asked at the stores they said that all of these things re illegal in Maine. I guess the gov't is afraid that someone may let them go and they will populate here. Maine gov't is very much a nanny gov't (in MANY ways).
Old 02-15-2010, 05:33 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

Thats ridiculous. If it were me I would take a drive and pick up a snail or shrimp at a store in a neighboring state (but Animal Control is unlikely to ever come into my house)
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 05:48 PM   #5 
kuklachica

haha, yeah, I've considered that!! But they really freak out here. Some Thai restaurant had some sort of illegal fish and someone squealed on them and they got in HUGE trouble, with fines, etc. I know that wouldn't happen to me cause no one I know would "squeal" but it still is scary!
Old 02-16-2010, 01:27 AM   #6 
Hadouken441

Wow thats super lame i have all of those things in my tank. If there was a way a could mail your a frog i would haha!!

If your tank is 10 gal then for sure for sure get live plants. oh my god i cant stress enough how much i love them. A school of 5 or 6 neon tetras would be really fun (have those also) if your betta is nice. They really add lots of color when swimming in a amazon theme :D
Hadouken441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:08 AM   #7 
Tinthalas Tigris

How large is your tank? Is it filtered? Do you have live plants?

I would really like to help you, but please provide a number of details, and I think I can provide you with some options that are legal for your state.
Tinthalas Tigris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:22 AM   #8 
kuklachica

Currently I have a 20 gallon divided 4 ways, a 6.6 gal divided 2 ways, and a 2.5 not divided. They are all filtered an in the process of being cycled. No live plants right now. I also have a 12 gallon Eclipse that I want to set up in the future that would be better for things other than just live plants.

Thank you!
Old 02-17-2010, 03:56 AM   #9 
Tinthalas Tigris

In my research, the only fish that are illegal are pond koi. Maybe it is new for this year?
Tinthalas Tigris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:19 AM   #10 
kuklachica

As far as fish go, that is right, but the other things (snails, ADFs, shrimp, and some plants) are also illegal.