Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-15-2010, 11:43 PM   #1 
xgoingdownx

Question Fin rot or not?

I sadly cannot upload pictures [because the cord to my camera is missing], but it would seem Admiral Finns is experiencing some issues.
This morning [and a yesterday] he was flaring an awful lot- he is usually a very calm fish, and I barely see him flare at all. He's in a 2.5 gallon tank by himself, and I just changed his water yesterday [I also added aquarium salt]. I am not sure if his flaring is an OK thing, or if it can be harmful to his fins.
I just looked at him before turning his light off and his back fin is ripped more than it was before [I treated him with some fungal medication a few weeks ago and he was showing signs of tail regrowth]. I had a plastic plant in there with him [that was a new addition as of maybe a week or two ago] which I just took out, in case it was part of the problem.
He also built two bubblenests in a very short amount of time and seems to be guarding them furiously, and while I know building nests is a good sign, I've never seen him get so anxious over them.
I'm just worried that his behavior could be a problem and may be harming his back fins- if anyone knows if this is fin rot or simply just over exertion, please tell me!!
xgoingdownx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:12 AM   #2 
Rain Drop

Flaring is healthy exercise, but for long finned fish it can burst their fins by accident.

So it sounds like he could have very well ripped his fins apart from flaring so hard.
Or maybe he tore it from the fake plant. So if it's from that, it'll probably look shredded. In some cases, bettas will even bite their own fins from stress (my Caesar has that problem). For fin rot, it looks like it's melting away. It might even look like it's missing chunks or be streaky with red at the ends.

Either way, it's need to be treated. The best way is to use aquarium salt, warm and clean clean CLEAN water! I personally use 1/2-1 teaspoon on my tanks (which are 2.25 gallons and a 3.3 gallon but you can adjust accordingly. You can also choose to give him salt baths as well.
Here's a great thread on how to do them.

So maybe he was seeing his own reflection and that's why he got so ferocious. And it sounds quite natural to be protective over the nests he made! And avoid anything that can be potentially sharp to a bettas delicate fins (decor wise)

Last edited by Rain Drop; 02-16-2010 at 01:14 AM.
Rain Drop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:18 AM   #3 
xgoingdownx

Thanks for the advice- I usually add about a teaspoon or so to his water, and I have a heater [plus my tank has a light on top of it], so the water stays around 78-80 degrees. [the heater doesn't have a temperature adjustment since it's for smaller tanks] This last water change I was forced to use water from the water fountain [heated up of course] because I couldn't get out to get more. We're sort of stuck in a bit of snow and it would be a little risky to get out right now.

I was planning on seeing if I could whittle down part of the plant [feel it for sharp edges and cut them off at least] because he seemed to like it. But since I was gone all day yesterday I couldn't tell if that was the issue or if he had bitten it or just ripped it from flaring.

Some parts of the tail look like there's one strip that's been cut off, but for the most part it just looks a little ragged at the ends. This morning it looks like his anal fin is a little ripped too, even though it wasn't last night. And sadly, I don't think I would be able to tell if he even had red sores/spots on his tail because he's red and blue in his coloring.

Any advice on what to do if it turns out that he's a biter?
Also, I have no idea what the post means about "treated water"- I always use the Aquasafe tank treater on my water...

Last edited by xgoingdownx; 02-16-2010 at 07:25 AM. Reason: forgot to add
Old 02-16-2010, 01:34 PM   #4 
xgoingdownx

I don't know if that picture comes up- if it doesn't, here's the link: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...7.jpg&newest=1

His tail has gotten WORSE!! I'm really starting to worry about what he could be doing to it- he's never hurt his tail on the other decor we have in his tank [one cave-ish thing] and we've had him for 2 months now...
Please if anyone has any ideas, help me!! I'm worried he won't have a tail at all soon and that it won't be able to grow back..
Old 02-17-2010, 02:51 AM   #5 
Rain Drop

You're welcome, and pretty fish!

Anyways, it looks like to me that he burst his tail apart from flaring really hard.
And if he is a tail biter (which doesn't look like it to me) you have to use trial and error to figure out what's his problem. Maybe he's bored, maybe he doesn't have enough light, or too much light, not enough hiding places, too many plants, not enough attention, and so on. I have this problem too with one of my fish, so it's
really difficult. But like I said, I think he just blew his fins apart.

By "treated water" he means clean new water that has been conditioned to get the chemicals out. So yeah, just using your aquasafe stuff for his bath water. That's all.

And cutting off sharp parts of the plant is a good idea. I good test to do to tell if it'll be too sharp for a betta is to run some panty hose over it. If it snags or rips, it'll damage his fins.

And don't worry, his fins will re-grow, it'll just take a but of time. Caesar has lost up to 2/3 of his tail before from severe tail biting, but he grew it all back (of course he chewed it off again Dx. Re-growth will look sort of white and clear at the ends. Eventually it fills with colour and so on.
Rain Drop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 05:43 AM   #6 
Artarmon

Sorry to invade your thread:
My fish Dorian has similar issues because his fins are particularly long (he is the one in my display picure/avatar thing)...
How long does it normally take for fins to grow back, like not if they are ripped off completely, but if they start to get a little ragged and stuff on the end...? And is it something I should worry about?
(I know there is nothing sharp in his tank, all the plants are real and they are really flimsy, and I assume it's just tares from flaring.)
Artarmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:44 AM   #7 
xgoingdownx

Thanks for the help :) I'm pretty sure the initial problem may have been flaring, but since his tail is getting shorter and I haven't witnessed him flaring anymore- he must be biting it or something.
And Artarmon, it's ok to invade the thread. [I'd rather have someone post in a thread already made than start a new one if it's the same issue] When A.Finns regrew part of his tail when we first got him it took a couple of days, and it never really filled in all the way. Hopefully Dorian heals up soon :)
Old 02-17-2010, 02:59 PM   #8 
Artarmon

I think he got too excited about the new boy I moved next to him (Mr Brightside) he spent the whole day there flaring at him... I ended up putting a peice of cardboard between the two tanks for that night. I didn't really notice until the tares started getting bigger and I guess you were the same with Finns?
And thanks, I hope A.Finns heals up as well. He is a gorgeous fish!
Artarmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:51 PM   #9 
kuklachica

@goingdown - maybe since he has become more territorial (i.e. bubble nests and doing the "betta butt wiggle" as I call it!!) he might see his tail out of his peripheral vision and think it is another betta threatening his area. If he is biting his tail, maybe this is why. Also, his tail could be bothering him from splitting and he is nipping it as a result (like when we have an itch and know we should stop scratching..but..just...can't...)
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:07 PM   #10 
xgoingdownx

With the taring, I really didn't see anything at first, and I was gone the whole day- my roommate was in the room, and she doesn't pay much attention to him unless I ask her to feed him or something..anyways, I didn't really go visit him until it was time to turn off his light and that's when I saw the huge rips! I worried about him all night, and it didn't get any bigger until the next morning after my classes.

I noticed him trying to bite it earlier, but I tapped his tank and he stopped- thankfully the rips haven't gotten any bigger. I plan on getting him a safer plant this weekend when I go home, hopefully that'll calm him and give him somewhere to rest..[any recommendations? I've never had a live plant in a tank before and I don't know if a silk plant is as good or not..]

@Artarmon, thanks for the compliment. He's a pretty boy and I'm quite sure he's aware [he can be such a brat lol]