Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-17-2010, 11:55 AM   #1 
Aarohee

Help Blue!

I was wondering what's up with my new Betta "Blue".
Day1: He was fine, ate and was rather calm due to stress i imagine of a new home.
Day2: Water got rather foggy, he was miserable, staying in one corner of the tank, not eating. Changed all water that night and he was happy. Swam more and was active. Still wont eat (not even a pea).
Day3: Water is lightly foggy. He's swimming fine. Responsive to seeing me. But rubbing himself against the glass occasionally. Wont eat. Looks like he has like multi colored glitter all over him. (Not gold though).
Any clue?

1. What is the size of your tank? ~ 1 Gallon (due apartment restrictions)

2. What are your water parameters? ~ Um, no clue.

3. Is your aquarium set up freshwater or brackish water? ~ Freshwater

4. How long the aquarium has been set up? ~3 days

5. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them? ~ 1 Male Betta. 3 days

6. Were the fish placed under quarantine period? ~ Nope

7. What temperature is the tank water currently? ~No thermometer or heater. Room temp.

8. Are there live plants in the aquarium? ~No, but considering getting.

9. What filter are you using? ~None since its a 1g tank.

10. Any other equipment used (aside from heater and filter which are two very important components of the tank)? ~ None. I have a airator but i took it out cause the flow might be to strong for it.

11. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day?
~ Very little, our windows are drafty. But his light is on 10am to 10pm.

12. When did you perform your last water change and how much water was changed? How often do you change your water? Do you vacuum the substrate? ~Yesterday, all of it. I try to.

13. What foods do you provide your fish? What is the feeding schedule?
~ Only BettaMin so far. Considering getting another kind since he hasn't eaten in 2 days. Once a day i try...

14. What unusual signs have you observed in your fish? ~Rubbing self against glass. Sparkle-y skin. Not eating.

15. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? If so, what treatments did you use? State your reasons for planning ahead of proper diagnosis.
~ No. Just cleaned his tank. I will buy within reason stuff to fix him but he is only a $3 Walmart fish and we are tight on money. He's my 1st fish so i am very new to this.

Thanks in advance.
Aarohee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:43 PM   #2 
xgoingdownx

If you have any pictures of him it might be more helpful in diagnosis, also, you might want to consider buying a really cheap thermometer so you can make sure his water is staying in the 75-80 temp. range.

You should probably try to feed him twice a day [usually once in the morning and once at night] and if you're feeding him pellets, try letting them sit in water for a few seconds [so they don't swell in his stomach] or crushing them up a little- at first my fish wouldn't eat much because the pellets were too big for him, he'd often spit them out after putting them in his mouth.

Sorry I'm not much help [as I'm new to bettas, too], but hopefully some of the advice is helpful!!
xgoingdownx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:58 PM   #3 
Aarohee

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgoingdownx View Post
If you have any pictures of him it might be more helpful in diagnosis, also, you might want to consider buying a really cheap thermometer so you can make sure his water is staying in the 75-80 temp. range.

You should probably try to feed him twice a day [usually once in the morning and once at night] and if you're feeding him pellets, try letting them sit in water for a few seconds [so they don't swell in his stomach] or crushing them up a little- at first my fish wouldn't eat much because the pellets were too big for him, he'd often spit them out after putting them in his mouth.

Sorry I'm not much help [as I'm new to bettas, too], but hopefully some of the advice is helpful!!
I'm most likely going to get a thermometer just so i know. But i heard getting a heater for a 1G tank is actually bad. Is that correct? Cause i don't know how else to warm his tank up.

He has flakes w/ those mini brine shrimps in it. I might get pellets now since he isnt eating the flakes. Would live food be good?

As for how he looks. He looks normal. Just close up you see little sparkles and i just norticed the gills around where like his cheeks could be are red.....

I'll try to get a picture of him...
Aarohee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:38 AM   #4 
Rain Drop

It sounds like he has ick.
For treatment, first, get a heater.
I think there's one called 7.5 watt mini hydor heater or something like that that can warm tiny tanks. You'll need really nice warm water to ward off this illness, so around 80 F should be good. Also, until he's all better, change the water every day (after that, you can get away with changing the water every other day). Also, buy some aquarium salt and add 1/4 -1/2 a teaspoon of this salt (dissolved) to his tank water. Make sure every time you put him back into his tank that you acclimate him to the water.

This is the only method that I know of, but I've never had a fish with ick. So hopefully other members will fill in the gaps c:

As for food, hikari bio old pellets are really good and wardleys pellets are good too.
Rain Drop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:12 PM   #5 
xgoingdownx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarohee View Post
I'm most likely going to get a thermometer just so i know. But i heard getting a heater for a 1G tank is actually bad. Is that correct? Cause i don't know how else to warm his tank up.

He has flakes w/ those mini brine shrimps in it. I might get pellets now since he isnt eating the flakes. Would live food be good?

As for how he looks. He looks normal. Just close up you see little sparkles and i just norticed the gills around where like his cheeks could be are red.....

I'll try to get a picture of him...
Like Rain Drop said, you just have to get the correct wattage of heater; I have a 2.5 gal tank and I found a heater for tanks under 3 gal [I wouldn't recommend it to you, however, because his water stays around 80 with the light on and I'm afraid it might overheat your tank]

As for live food, if anything, it would only be a weekly treat. I feed Admiral Finns bloodworms on Friday nights as a treat- usually they will always eat them! Since bettas don't have great digestive systems, too much protein can make them bloated or constipated, so beware of protein amounts in his food.

I don't know if he has ick- the best way to tell is if he has little white spots that look like salt all over his body [or in concentrated areas] The red cheeks/gills may just be his coloring, but I can't say for sure. I don't know much about other betta diseases like velvet, or what have you, but ick is very easily cured [if that's what he has]. Ick usually results from stress [such as moving them from one tank to another], which would make sense if your fish had it because he's not eating and such.
xgoingdownx is offline   Reply With Quote