Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-16-2010, 07:15 PM   #11 
kelly528

Quote:
Originally Posted by TianTian View Post
Well, they'd be heavy vases at the center of the table.
Also, I'm an asthmatic so NO SMOKING at my wedding reception. :) Fumes from candles won't be an issue because I don't think I want them too close to the fish, anyway.

Also, the vases aren't permanent homes. They're bigger than fish store cups for one. :)

And I saw a suggestion elsewhere to return the fish to the store when done. Good/bad idea?

I never said it had to be a permanent home. But there have been times when I have had to keep my betta in a bowl for as little as a few hours and they jump right out of their skin.

Also you might raise a few eyebrows if you return a lot of bettas back to the pet store. Managers may not be happy / refuse the fish.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:33 PM   #12 
vaygirl

Those were fake fish? No way, they look real!!
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:49 AM   #13 
TianTian

Yeah, after thinking it over a little more, I think I'll do some fake fish like in the picture I posted. :)
They don't seem hard to make at all, really. And plus: less mess.

Maybe, if I can convince my future fiancee, we can get one Betta for our table. ;) In a big bowl. With a heater. And a castle. And we'd take him home later.
TianTian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:33 AM   #14 
dramaqueen
Banned

That sounds like a good idea. :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 03:49 AM   #15 
Tinthalas Tigris

My wife and I, instead of flowers, chose to do exactly this for our wedding.

With the number of people who do doves, ornate flowers, swans, and so many other things involving animals, we decided to do fish.

We went to all sorts of pet stores, and finally settled on one that gave great advice. We were looking at dalmation mollies originally (the white and black seemed elegant in the setting of a wedding), and we were so set, until the sales rep told us that the only fish it wouldn't be hurtful to do it to would be bettas.

He informed us of nitrogen cycles, filtration, oxygen in the water, etc. Really informative guy for the 15 or 20 minutes we were there, and it was from there that he set us on the female sorority tank and everything.

I could stand to have learned and researched *alot* more before going through with everything I did. My first post here consisted of a terrible wipeout of 2 fish initially, and finally dropping from 13 fish to 6. (I know, it was really terrible how naive I was to this whole hobby).

Anyhow, to keep it all short. We loved the idea initially, and a good load of people took fish home that evening (fewer than we wanted), and I ended up getting to enjoy a brand new really cool (and addictive) hobby in result.

I feel very bad for those 7 bettas I lost, but I the ones that lived really seem to enjoy themselves.
Tinthalas Tigris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 03:36 PM   #16 
kelly528

Yeah I think a huge problem with providing guests with appropriate housing for the bettas is that you are still thrusting a responsibility upon thme that they didn't ask for or research. Even if they recieve a proper tank you are still imposing upon them to find a nice place for it in their home, clean the tank weekly, feed the fish, and medicate it when it gets sick for 3-7 years.

In the same way that giving someone a puppy for Christmas with leash, collar, food and vet bills included is a recipe for disaster so is this. They never asked for a pet, may not have any idea what they are 'signing up' for and therefore I think fake fish would be a far more suitable idea.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:02 PM   #17 
veganchick

My teacher did bettas and they looked very pretty but they handed them out at the end of the wedding and most people kept them in the tiny vases they came in....
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:20 PM   #18 
TianTian

Yeah, I'll probably go with fake fish. Mostly 'cause they're cheaper and better, ethically-speaking.

IF I were to do real Betta fish, the math is this:

15 tables total for guests
1 vase and 1 Betta per table
Each Betta costs 4 dollars.

4 x 15 = $60 USD. That's just for the fish, not including the bowls and the flowers and decorative stones, etc... I'll be just out of college by the time I get married and have bills to pay off and all that (and more than likely so will my fiance).

I would like a big wedding (what girl doesn't?) but with today's economy I just don't see that happening. $80+ for just table centerpieces just doesn't sit well with me. I'd still have food to pay for the guests (catered or otherwise), music, lighting... the list goes on and on.

So fake fish it is. :)
TianTian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:21 PM   #19 
FancyFins

I'm going to have my wedding on the river so there will be tons of fish :D

Sorry I couldn't resist...
FancyFins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:25 PM   #20 
smallvle

That's actually how I got my first betta, Phinnegan. (Only it was at a dinner dance, not a wedding.) And by the end of the night he was one of the few fish either not belly-up or in horrible condition. They just all looked pretty terrible by the time the event was over.
smallvle is offline   Reply With Quote