Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-16-2010, 09:56 AM   #1 
oXsonriksXo

4 female bettas with a male betta.

As the title states, is this ok? i have a 10 gallon tank. I am also planning on buying other tank mates of a diffrent species, any recommended? i was thinking about getting bala sharks i dont know if they might do well. As of right now i have a female and a male betta in the 10 gal. tank for about 2 months and they seem to be fine. I have also been planning to buy a plant, is it wise to grow it out of a bud or buy the plant?
oXsonriksXo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:03 AM   #2 
doggyhog

Bad bad bad idea. You have a male and female living together? PLEASE separate them before one of them ends up hurt/dead. Males and females cannot be housed together long term.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:35 AM   #3 
DragonFish

+1 to what Doggy said.

Male+Female(s) Splendens in the same tank without a divider=Chaos. It is inevitable that, in the end, you will be left with one severely beaten up betta or none at all.

A 10 gallon is a nice size for a simple betta however, or can can even be divided in half with a betta on each side, but make sure the divider is super secure so that they can't get to one another.

Bala sharks get GIGANTIC by the way, and like schools I think. You'd probably need some sort of huge, heated, indoor pond to keep them properly....
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:43 AM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

I totally agree with DragonFish and doggyhog. This is a disaster waiting to happen. The only time you can house males and females together is for breeding purposes.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:18 AM   #5 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I agree with everyone. PLEASE separate them immediately. It might seem like they're getting along but one wrong move and the male can kill the female or even the female can kill the male. You could make a female sorority with 5 or 6 females heavily planted and lots of hiding places or you could divide it; put the female on one side and the male on the other.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:51 AM   #6 
iheartmyfishies

I agree with what everyone else has said so far. Don't endanger your pets! And four females sounds good as long as they get along. But, if the 10-gal is all you have, I wouldn't suggest dividing it and putting a sorority on one side and the male on the other. You would need a much larger tank for that. I suggest you just divide the tank straight down the middle and keep one betta on each side. As for the plant question, the bulbs are a case by case thing. Sometimes they work, sometimes they turn into fuzzy white balls of goo. I would just get those short plants from Petco in the tube because they're really cheap and they'll grow fast. I still have one of those tube plants (umbrella plant) from nearly 8 months ago and it's still thriving.
iheartmyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:10 PM   #7 
Chicklet

Some females and males are compatible and will live their entire lives peacefully together,
You just need to recognize the signs to know which are not compatible and will eventually end in disaster & which won't.

Adding any more then one female with a male, You will simply come home one day sooner that later to a dead male betta, The females WILL kill him!
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:14 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

There are species of bettas that are peaceful and can live together.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:15 PM   #9 
Hidr

I would not do it. You may have dead fish or two shortly.
Hidr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:15 AM   #10 
JohnKIOhio

I am new and joined the site for fun. We have had a male & female betta plus an albino frog in the same tank for over a year now. We just upgraded the tank to a 14 Gallon BioCube and might add a fish or two. Prolly a cat once the tank gets established. We put ghost shrimp in and they last about a week which is the intent.
JohnKIOhio is offline   Reply With Quote