Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-17-2010, 10:46 AM   #1 
jamesmoua

I'm having some problems

Well my two fishes finally mated, but I wasn't there to actually see it cause I was at school. After I came back from school around 5 p.m. I looked at the fish and the male was still chasing the female so I thought that they haven't mated yet, but after watching them chasing each other couple times the male went up to the bubble nest and I don't know-seems like it was gathering air like it usually do, well that's what I thought. Then when I look at the bubble nest, the part that was way back of the tank there was these white dots, and I was wondering what are those then I move the tank and move the top cover so I could have a better look and I was shocked. It was eggs! I was surprised and I didn't know. Anyway, I read couple threads here about breeding and mating already and watched youtube of how eggs and how they look like when they mate. Well, when I look at the female I realize it was eating some eggs and I was angry so I grabbed my net and moved her out, but then I also realize that the male was ALSO EATING THE EGGS! Then I was so angry that I moved him out too. However, I actually realizes that later on the bubble nest is getting destroyed and now I'm wondering should I put the male back in or not? Can anyone help me decide if I should let the male be put back in or not, because I'm scared that the male will eat the eggs again.
jamesmoua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:05 AM   #2 
doggyhog

Well, some males are just egg eaters. But they will eat the eggs that weren't fertilized, or that were going bad. So, I'd put him back in.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:33 AM   #3 
DragonFish

He may not have been eating the eggs....the male will move the eggs around to a new nest/make the nest bigger/clump them all together...and he moves them by picking them up in his mouth, then blowing them back into the nest someplace else. Some males are just egg eaters, like Doggy said, but its not uncommon for first time breeders to mistake the male moving the eggs around for eating them....it can indeed look a lot like he is eating them.
Also like Doggy said, the male will eat the 'bad' eggs....so he could have just been 'cleaning up'.

You should put him back in to tend to the nest and eggs, and if he really does eat them....well, theres a reason for everything....

And if you male doesn't eat the eggs after you add him back.....Are you prepared with cultures for live foods for the fry when they hatch? Do you have homes for potentially 100+ fry? Room to keep those fry until they go to their new homes and 100+ properly sized separate containers for when they get aggressive? Do you have the time for daily water changes on those containers when the time comes? Daily, regular, PWCs on the fry tank?

I could go on and on....but really. Just put the male back into the tank, then go google 'Betta Breeding' and literally read everything you can find, then read more. As MUCH research as possible is the key to breeding success, a couple threads and a Youtube vid won't tell you everything you need to know....
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:27 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. Here is a sticky about breeding bettas. This is just a general guideline but I hope it will help to answer some of your questions. http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...-bettas-30005/
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 05:09 PM   #5 
jamesmoua

So when do I moved the male out? Or should I just move the fry?
Old 02-18-2010, 07:04 PM   #6 
doggyhog

I'm not sure I understand your question?
Old 02-20-2010, 11:38 AM   #7 
jamesmoua

Well I was wondering what specific time do I separate the father from the frys. Do I move them out when the frys are old enough to swim and able to take air, or is there any other way of when I should take them out?

My other question is well the eggs finally hatch and came come these frys coming out and they would sank and swam back up to the bubble but can't make it inside the bubble so they keep drowning but the father still helps them get up to the bubble nest but they never made it inside the bubble. What should I do on this part?
Old 02-20-2010, 12:56 PM   #8 
doggyhog

Oh OK. Gotcha.

Now, I'm going to be completely honest here. OK? None of this is meant to offend you, just stating the facts.

You probably should have done this research BEFORE your bettas spawned. Breeding bettas is a huge responsibility and takes a lot of time and effort. Hope your ready for that!!!!

I suggest you read ALL the breeding articles on both these sites.
Bettatalk.com
bettysplendens.com

Also, what are you planning on feeding the fry???
Old 02-21-2010, 02:37 PM   #9 
jamesmoua

Well I have done some research on how to breed, but its either there wasn't enough information or I just couldn't understand some of the information that is writing down...Oh yes and when I was watching youtube it was just to get me a clear view or image of how mating is going to be like and how the eggs going to be like...
Old 02-21-2010, 03:06 PM   #10 
doggyhog

I'm sorry to say this, but some research won't cut it. You need to do TONS and TONS of research. Or as Mr. Vampire says, "Research 'til your brain hurts!" it's true.

So, if you haven't already, I suggest your read the websites provided above in my last post. PLEASE take the time to do this, it is pretty much a matter of life and death for them.

So, what are you going to feed the fry?