Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-16-2010, 07:36 PM   #1 
kuklachica

What should I do with my new tank?

I recently got an INCREDIBLE deal (paid $10) on a "non-functioning" 12 gallon Eclipse... well, I cleaned it and it works, so now I need to figure out what to do with it. My hubby REALLY does NOT want lots of tanks in the house. I currently have a 20 gallon divided 4 ways, a 6.6 gallon Petco "bookshelf" tank divided two ways, and a 2.5 gallon (not divided). I need to come up with a good plan before I can "sell" it to my hubby.

My options are either to divide it two ways and put 2 more guys in it.

Or make it a sorority tank with 5 or 6 girls.

I cannot put any snails, shrimp or ADFs in there because they are illegal here in Maine (GRRRRRR!). I also want to stay away from any not-too-hardy fish because I'd rather not have the extra up keep for them in with the bettas.

I'm thinking of moving my bookshelf tank down a shelf and putting the 12 gallon on top of that stand so at least I won't have another tank stand.

Anyone have any good ideas/thoughts on either option? Or any ideas on how to "Sell" it to my hubby?

Current large tanks:

Bookshelf aquarium, might move it down on the shelf and put the 12 where this one currently is?

Can't really move this one now:

kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:32 PM   #2 
doggyhog

The 12g has a stand right? Well, just go through your whole house and figure out somewhere you could put it. :) hahaha, not sure about selling it to your husband though.... make him dinner.. LOL that what I do when I want my brother to do something...

Well, I think a sorority sounds GREAT!!!!! You could have some cory cats too.. such a shame that shrimp, snails, and ADFs are illegal! That MUST stink!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:13 PM   #3 
kuklachica

Haha... I make dinner quite a bit so unfortunately it wouldn't be such an our-of-the-ordinary thing!

It did come with a stand. i'd like to keep it in the same general area (our house is small and only one bathroom so don't want to have to lug water up and down stairs). I'd probably end up putting it where the bookshelf tank is and mocing that down to the shelf below...
Old 02-16-2010, 10:46 PM   #4 
ScuitoAmi150

If you want pond snails go to one of the family run pet stores that sell aquarium plants, they tend to come with the plant! That is how I got mine. (I got rid of them, they are messy. But now they have a 120g tank)
ScuitoAmi150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 03:35 PM   #5 
1fish2fish

Is your 12 gallon a hex?.. in which case you couldn't divide it.. not enough of a foot print. If it is a horizontal tank you could do guppies.. they're easy keepers. Or tetras.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 03:47 PM   #6 
kuklachica

No, it's not a hex; it's the Eclipse 12 gallon bow front type.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:45 PM   #7 
1fish2fish

oh ok.. well that could be divided (but bow fronts can be hard to divide securely) or it would be great for a small sorority.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote