Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-31-2014, 10:01 AM   #1 
bettacrazygirl86

Cories are slowly dying off... Help?

I have a 10 gallon planted tank with a betta and what used to be 5 peppered cories. There are a couple MTS, ramshorns and assassin snails in the tank too. The remaining three cories seem to be happy and healthy, but the other two just died out of nowhere. I'm getting a bit concerned, and I really don't want the other three to die off too.

I did a water test with the master test kit that I recently picked up, and everything was fine. My tank is fully cycled, and the nitrates weren't very high.

The first cory to die passed about a week after I introduced him to the tank. This was several months ago, back around Christmas. Now just the other day, a second passed. Both were floating at the top of the tank, with their bellies up. I noticed that both cories at the time were the smallest in the group... Could this have something to do with it? If so, how can I prevent this from happening again?

I feed the cories two Omega One veggie discs every day, one with each feeding I give my betta. The temperature in the tank is 80 degrees F, and the tank gets approximately 10 hours of light each day. All of the plants are happy and healthy and growing like weeds, and my betta appears to be okay. He's very social and likes to swim with the cories along the bottom of the tank. I've only ever seen him flare and chase them a couple times, and it's always only for a short while. He's never actually hurt them before, so I know my betta isn't to blame. What could it be?
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:29 AM   #2 
Agent13
Reference Team

I just wanted to point out that corydoras aren't an herbivore fish . They are scavengers that lean closer to carnivore even though they're considered an omnivore .
Also ... That's quite a lot of food daily for those fish .
Not really sure about the deaths .. I'm sorry you lost your fish .

Sent from Petguide.com App
Agent13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:38 PM   #3 
n25philly

A few things.

1) 5 peppered cory cats in a 10 gallon is really pushing it. You're pushing the overall stocking limit of the tank as well as pushing how much space at the bottom of the tank they need to move around.

2) 80 degrees is also kind of pushing the temperature limits for the corys as most are not that big on high temperatures. I would lower it 2-3 degrees.

3) as mentioned cory cats are omnivores, not herbivores. They lean more towards meat eaters. I would feed the corys one of those veggie discs every other day. The other days give them either shrimp pellets or bottom feeder wafers.
n25philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:41 AM   #4 
bettacrazygirl86

I always sprinkle in some extra Omega One marine pellets when I feed my betta, and just let them sink to the bottom for the cories. Lots of whole fish in them, and they seem to love those.

I know you're supposed to have a bigger tank for them due to the bio load, but I've tested my water and there's no ammonia and the nitrates aren't even that high. It's heavily planted, but with lots of open floor space for them. They seem to like to wall surf a lot, though. I guess they see my betta do it, so they try doing it too.

I don't plan on changing my set up. It's been this way for months and the only deaths were that one in the beginning week, and this one after a water change. Everyone else seems happy and healthy, and I neither have the space nor money to get the 20g long I want. If I did, I would have upgraded ages ago.

I'm guessing the fish one died due to lack of food since he was the tiniest. Like, considerably smaller than the others. And I guess the second one just got shocked when I introduced them back into the tank. I have no idea why he passed. I just want to make sure I don't lose anymore.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:14 AM   #5 
n25philly

I don't think you need to change tanks or anything drastic like that, just stick to a smaller group. 5 is really pushing the stocking limits, but 3, maybe 4 should be fine. I would lower the temperature a little as I mentioned before as well and make sure they are getting plenty of meaty foods.

Here is a question we should have asked and didn't, but what kind of substrate do you have in the tank?
Old 04-01-2014, 11:46 AM   #6 
bettacrazygirl86

It's gravel, but they get their food just fine. I keep an eye on them during feeding time and they're able to get all of their food. I thought about using sand, but the last time I did that was a disaster and super messy. Gravel is easier for me, and the cories don't seem to have a problem with it.

After the deaths, there are three cories in the tank now.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:53 AM   #7 
n25philly

If it's gravel, keep an eye on their barbels. You want to make sure they are healthy and don't start disappearing. There is a chance they could get cut on the gravel or if any food gets stuck inbetween they could get infected. If you have any more issues that is the first thing I would check.