Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Memorials
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-31-2014, 11:12 PM   #1 
brennalynne

You're still missed, Percy.

Perseus December 2012 - July 2013
I'm making this because I still feel guilty about the first betta fish I owned. I got him on boxing day in 2012 with nothing but my sisters (2 month) experience of betta owning to guide me. I did ask for a bigger tank than my sister (who had and still has a measly 1.5 gallons) and wanted a good 5 gallon tank. However, for Christmas I received a 3 gallons with assurances that it was enough and had great reviews. The tank was fine, but the information I lacked was not.

Percy (Perseus) was a great fish, he was sociable but camera shy really. I like to believe he was happy in his time with me...even if his care was not the best.

I honestly had no idea how to care for a fish, getting him cheap food (because my sister was using it), had fake plants and only did 100% water changes. I didn't check his water for ph, ammonia, nitrates or nitrites. I didn't cycle it, and I neglected to change his water nearly as much as I should have been.

Once he got sick, with a fuzzy white hole on the top of his head (eight months into owning him), I panicked and over medicated him with the first medication that somewhat matched his illness...

He died a few days later and I must have cried for hours and hours that night.

It was because of this that Rudy, my current Betta is getting a life a lot better than poor Perseus' was. With live plants, water checking, proper water changes and better food. Soon, when I can afford it, Rudy and his snail friends will be moving into a properly cycled 5 or 10 gallon tank with live plants and everything he needs.

I'm sorry, Percy, that you died so early before I had the chance to really learn what it means to take care of a betta fish. I promise, to you, that I will always take care of betta's the way they're meant to.

brennalynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:54 PM   #2 
Kaynbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by brennalynne View Post

Perseus December 2012 - July 2013
I'm making this because I still feel guilty about the first betta fish I owned. I got him on boxing day in 2012 with nothing but my sisters (2 month) experience of betta owning to guide me. I did ask for a bigger tank than my sister (who had and still has a measly 1.5 gallons) and wanted a good 5 gallon tank. However, for Christmas I received a 3 gallons with assurances that it was enough and had great reviews. The tank was fine, but the information I lacked was not.

Percy (Perseus) was a great fish, he was sociable but camera shy really. I like to believe he was happy in his time with me...even if his care was not the best.

I honestly had no idea how to care for a fish, getting him cheap food (because my sister was using it), had fake plants and only did 100% water changes. I didn't check his water for ph, ammonia, nitrates or nitrites. I didn't cycle it, and I neglected to change his water nearly as much as I should have been.

Once he got sick, with a fuzzy white hole on the top of his head (eight months into owning him), I panicked and over medicated him with the first medication that somewhat matched his illness...

He died a few days later and I must have cried for hours and hours that night.

It was because of this that Rudy, my current Betta is getting a life a lot better than poor Perseus' was. With live plants, water checking, proper water changes and better food. Soon, when I can afford it, Rudy and his snail friends will be moving into a properly cycled 5 or 10 gallon tank with live plants and everything he needs.

I'm sorry, Percy, that you died so early before I had the chance to really learn what it means to take care of a betta fish. I promise, to you, that I will always take care of betta's the way they're meant to.

This post is making me cry. ;-;

RIP Percy.
Kaynbred is offline   Reply With Quote