Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-17-2010, 04:36 PM   #1 
kuklachica

planting plants?

how would i plant live plants (i.e. annubias or java fern) in a tank that just has gravel substrate? is it possible to put it in its own pot to make it easier to pull out when cleaning? and so i wouldn't have to change all of the substrate?

thanks!
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:28 PM   #2 
dr2b

Why would you pull it out when cleaning? You clean around the plant... they aren't supposed to come out... many plants will actually die if you keep changing the conditions like that. You take them and pull the spongy material out of the roots, and you plant them in the gravel. Then, as I said, you siphon around the plant.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:08 AM   #3 
Hadouken441

Ok Ive been doing lots of research on planted plants so i think i can help :D

Theres no reason to pot it (Looks hella ugly IMO and knocks over and ends up being more of a problem).

Anubias you have to tie to something. Sounds annoying but its really not as bad as you think. I have 1 tied to a live driftwood and one tied to a rock and the rock is under my substrate. Dont burry the rhizome (the thicket root) Or your plant will either rot or just not grow at all.

Java ferns have a rhizome also that you dont want to cover up. They also can be tied down but the long roots make it a little easier to anchor it down.

If you plant your take heavily, it lowers how often you have to change your water.

Also if you dont want to tie anything you can super glue it (if attaching to rock/ driftwood).

I absolutely love my plants in my tank and theres no way i'll ever ever go back to fake plants. My Frogs stay under water longer not needing to get air from surface as much, my betta like to play in the moss and my neon tetras look incredible against the green.
Hadouken441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:29 AM   #4 
kuklachica

I guess I wasn't sure if it would be easy to clean around the plant or if it would come loose while siphoning...

So if I bought one of the "aquatic tropical ferns" from Petco (I am assuming those are Java Ferns) I attach it to a rock? I have gravel in one tank and river rocks in another... would I need to change the substrate in the whole tank? or would it be ok in the river rocks?

what is a good website to look this info up on?

Thank you guys so much for the help!!
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:26 PM   #5 
Mecal

I've actually planted my java fern in the gravel and had no problems :)
they just attach to the gravel and stay put.
Mecal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:01 PM   #6 
dr2b

You don't have to change substrates. It's too much of a pain IMHO. I think you'll be just fine with gravel substrate.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:02 PM   #7 
Tinthalas Tigris

Java Fern can be simply placed with its roots beneath the gravel. after removing the packaging materials for it, hold the fern between your ring, pinky, and thumb fingers. Use your middle and index fingers to burrow into the gravel and then place the ferninto the indentation and cover. This is the easiest way to plant java fern and any other plant into your gravel, in an existing tank.

You can attack Java Ferns and Crypts to driftood or porous rock with the aid of fishing line or thread. Java Fern and Java Moss are two of the most popular attachments to coconuts, driftwood, and the like.

For other planting ideas,

Stay away from "Mondo grass." It is not truly an aquatic plant. Naively, I purchased some, and though it has managed to live, it is ultimately dying very slowly, being completely submerged in water.

Amazon Swords, Red Ludwigia, Red Frill, and Java Fern were my next purchases, and they, by contrast, have thrived.

I would highly consider Red Ludwigia or Red Frill as your first time purchase. They have more interesting color shades than just a plain green, and they can be put directly into the substrate.

It will be best to provide your plants flourescent lighting. Phillips makes a number of inexpensive flourescent bulbs that will work just find. they are marked as "Indoor Sunlight" and are sometimes less than a quarter the price of the specialty bulbs marketed in your Local Fish Store.

Last edited by Tinthalas Tigris; 02-18-2010 at 07:04 PM.
Tinthalas Tigris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:12 PM   #8 
dr2b

Cryptocoryne is very hardy also. Very hard to kill it lol. I have three variations of this species and they are doing great. One of them is taking over actually. I have my Amazon Sword and Kleiner Bar Sword also. Again, they are doing great. They are loving the new fertilizer I got lol.