Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-18-2010, 06:10 PM   #1 
sandystar

Thumbs down AHHHHH! Going CRAZY!!!

Dramatic I know... But over the top? Not really.

So I bought a 2-10i Tetra Whisper Internal Filter, and its is making this barely audible humming/buzzing noise! And I don't know why, when I originally put it in ( this afternoon 1pm central US time) I also did a 75% water change. And during this change it was silent, and silent for about a half hour...

I'm now thinking as I type this that my DIY cover ( clear plastic with plastic mesh in the middle for ventilation/ feeding port) May be vibrating?

If not I don't know why it would be making this noise. Its right by my bed and I'm the kind of sleeper that could sleep through extremely loud noises but buzzing ( alarm clocks, cars backing up, etc...) will wake me up.

Is this normal or did I buy a defected one?
sandystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:20 PM   #2 
Kittles

I have a Tetra 10i and I suppose it makes a slight buzz, or hum, rather. It's pretty quiet though, and I really have to listen for it, but then again it's right next to my computer which is quite a bit louder.

Unless yours is rattling something, or is loud enough on its own to keep you awake, I think it's normal.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:07 PM   #3 
1fish2fish

My 10i hardly makes any noise.. I would check the top.. if its touching the filter it's probably vibrating.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:14 PM   #4 
sandystar

So I checked the top and made sure all the components were secure and its still making the noise. :(
I'll tinker with it in the morning Again. Maybe when I opened it I didn't close it well enough?
Old 02-19-2010, 05:17 AM   #5 
Neelie

this might sound silly but i had the same problem once, and it turned out to be a trapped air bubble in the filter... i shook the filter a lil one time while under water and a burst of air came out. now its silent again (pretty much)
Neelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:08 PM   #6 
Jupiter

I have a Tetra filter that's not plugged in. I did plug it in once though, and it made a slight humming/buzzing noise.

What really drives me crazy is the sound of trickling water coming from my sorority! I still haven't gotten used to that, lol.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 05:08 PM   #7 
sandystar

I am so going to try the shaking to let any air bubbles out!

My actually don't let the water fall, I have it filled a cm above the lip of the 'fountain' feature. The current from the flowing water only stays at the top and also flows through the divider so that awful film doesn't built up. And lets Kristoph play in his flowers and plants as well as give him the choice of playing in the current at the top. And its wonderful for him his starting to make a bubble nest again for the first time since New Years!
Old 02-19-2010, 08:18 PM   #8 
ScuitoAmi150

I have a similar problem with my Duetto filter and I had to unplug it, change the water flow, and tip it sideways so the air gets out. Now it is silent.
ScuitoAmi150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:06 PM   #9 
sandystar

So I turned it off and sure enough air bubbles, however the buzzing still is a buzzing...
It seems the only rime it was silent was when the filter was on and sideways. :(

But it is for my fishies, And I'm getting use to it.