Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-18-2010, 07:08 PM   #11 
dramaqueen
Banned

Distilled water doesn't have the trace minerals and elements that fish need.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:11 PM   #12 
1fish2fish

I can't remember.. and I'm too lazy to re-read your original post ;P but I think you said you wanted a snail? You could add a snail or two during cycling (I did without problems).. that way your bioload is a little higher and you cycle a bit faster. That is if you want to do a fish in safe cycle (which I think is your best option unless you leave "your buddy" in his bowl for a few weeks.. btw I think buddy would be a nice name)
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:10 AM   #13 
Balthasar

Alright, thanks for the heads up. I did indeed use distilled water, as was suggested at the store. But right after I post this i'll do my cycling research, and find a way to add what it is he needs. I. E. water with the trace elements he needs. I imagine its somewhat sterile for his liking... but anything is better that what he was in when I got him.

He was swimming around and exploring. I watched him for over an hour before I went to sleep. I had the night off, and was up for over 24 hrs yesterday, but still I watched him until I started dozing off. Wanted to make sure he was alright... I noticed that the area just past the water "fall" from the filter makes strong current. When he got to a certain point it carried him somewhat. He finally got used to it but in my paranoid mind, I want to lessen its effect. I'll just observe though and see what is needed.

Yea I'm waiting before I get any Beta friends. I want him to have company, but I'm in no rush. Now it's time to research cycles. Thanks folks.
Balthasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:56 AM   #14 
Balthasar

I'm still researching... but the answer isn't easy to find. I started from here and ended up on various sites. What I seem to find is details about ammonia levels, nitrite then nitrate... but nothing about HOW they reach these readings.

So far I gather that once ammonia is established in a tank, beneficial bacteria begins to break it down to nitrate etc... ok... I know the bacteria is everywhere but how do I make certain they seed? Is there a bacteria kit?

I've gone through 4 Faq's specifically about 'non' fishless cycling and they seem to pass over this detail. I'm not going to assume it magically starts this breaking down process.

But whatever... I intend on getting a test kit today or tomorrow and I'll watch the tank. The tank is 10 gallons and he is alone so ammonia build up is not going to happen in the next few days. By then I should have a firm grasp on what to look for and expect.

Now I guess I'll switch my focus to "trace minerals and elements" in my water.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:15 AM   #15 
ScuitoAmi150

Good luck with cycling the tank! All that stuff confuses me. xD
One really good plant to have is Aqua Fern (you can buy it at petco). I love that stuff, I've had mine for months (and my room isn't exactly bright and shinny) & it is still going strong. I have heard of that problem with bamboo. I'd take it out of the water if I was you. Bamboo is a very weird plant, it also might not like having a light on it (mine started turning a pale yellow when I put it next to the window).
ScuitoAmi150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:29 AM   #16 
1fish2fish

Using tap water will be perfectly fine.. and it will have the trace elements and minerals DQ referred to.

As far a cycling.. the way you get bacteria is to introduce ammonia to the tank.. whether from pure ammonia (from the store.. Fishless method) or from fish waste (from uneated food/poo... fish in method). You don't need to introduce bacteria.. as long as you have ammonia they will start to grow. Seeding the tank is a different process than cycling.. to seed you have to have gravel or filter media from an already cycled tank (this speeds up your own cycle).

Since you already have your fish in the tank your going to want to do a Fish in Safe Cycle (I have a thread you can look at with full details). Basically Fish poo-->Ammonia-->Nitrites--->Nitrates. What will happen is you will test daily and see your ammonia levels start to rise. Eventually you will see a noticable spike in the readings of ammonia and then start to see the ammonia go down and the Nitrites go up. After more time you see another spike (in the nitrites this time) then you start to see nitrates coming up. When your readings are stable at 0ppm Ammonia, 0ppm Nitrite, and 5-20 ppm Nitrate, your cycled.

Fish in cycling is a hassle believe me. You have to do partial water chages daily when you get readings of ammonia or nitrite (these are poisonous to the fish). Fish in cycling takes longer.. anywhere from 1-2 months on average. But if you do it right your fish should be perfectly safe.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:10 AM   #17 
GawfFish

Thumbs up

Here's the Fish-In Cycling post 1fish2fish is referring to: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....ght=Cycle+Fish

I have this bookmarked--it's a great post.
GawfFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:54 AM   #18 
Balthasar

Thanks 1Fish2Fish and GawfFish for the pinpoint. Awesome... information that does NOT presume you know what they are talking about. I was figuring the bacteria finds its way in by air and whatever, but without them spelling it out... I just wanted to be certain.

Well now thats taken care of, there are a few other things I need to do.

First off, The heater I bought doesnt keep up or something. I brought a thermometer from work and it reads 64 degrees. No wonder my strip thermometer didnt register, thats where it starts. I put the heater right next to the "waterfall" from the filter and it just doesnt work well. I raised the setting on it slightly and will test it setting by setting, but I'll likely take it back. The red light in it turns off and back on, signifying it is maintaining the temp... but just not the proper temp...

Im not sure what he is, but looks like a "Crown Tail" Anyway, where the filter pours the water makes a current that catches his "sails" and I'm thinking about obstructing the direct flow of water, to perhaps discharge differently. He doesn't hang out on that side much at all.

I'll take some pics so you all can see, but until I get my camera back, pics from the phone is all your getting.

Oh ScuitoAmi150, the plants I bought were Corkscrew Vallisneria. I think their great. I already have plans for the other plants that have yet to sprout (from bulbs) I might get a fern, but am uncertain where I'll go from where I'm at. I want to find a good balance, fung shwei.

Last edited by Balthasar; 02-20-2010 at 06:56 AM. Reason: misspells
Old 02-20-2010, 09:50 AM   #19 
1fish2fish

What brand and wattage of heater did you get? For a 10 gallon you need to have a 50 watt heater. Visitherm is the best (or so I've heard) but I've had topfin heaters and never had a problem with them.

If you can put up some pictures of your filter (whether your actual filter or one of the same brand from the internet) I might be able to give you a few tips on buffering it.

The strip thermometer is ok but the in-tank glass ones work better, you can also get a cheap digital kitchen thermometer to check the temp periodically.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:01 AM   #20 
Balthasar

The heater is from hydor; theo heater. It is indeed a 50 W.
The filter came with the tank, It's a Topfin

As you can see I have it running vertically, but even when I place the thermometer right next to it, it reads much much less that the knob is set to. The light going off for awhile then back on indicates it thinks its maintaining whatever temp its set for, which is not what is indicated on the knob.

Well this is my setup
Front:
I'll be placing those plants on the left side of the tank to balance the setting out.
Right above the rock cave looking thing is where the current is worst. I need to diffuse the flow there badly 'cause he was pushed down and looked like he was gonna hit the rock roof. He swims against the current now over on the left, I figure it's his workout. Since he is getting all this exercise... I fed him 2 extra pellets yesterday. I can hear him munch on them, It's pretty cute.
Side:
The wooden piece I bought is fantastic. I find him sleeping in a nook when I get home in the morning.

Speaking of feeding, he spat out his second pellet a bit ago as I was feeding him. I decided to try a couple of flakes but he spat them out too. I've read here about alternating food so they don't get bored, but Darius (my beta) doesn't seem to want what I have. So I figure he is either not hungry, or he is being picky. There is a pet store that has all sorts of things he would like, but I'll research here and find out how often I will treat him. Im just mentioning this, kind of thinking out loud so you all know where I'm at.

Last edited by Balthasar; 02-21-2010 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Added info