Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-26-2015, 05:00 PM   #1 
catsie

Hydor Theo Heater 25 W question

Hi, I just recieved my 25Watt Hydor Theo Heater in the mail today. I just have a questions or two in regard to the heater itself.
Is there a light that turns on when the heater is heating up the water?
I dont want to emerge the heater into cold water just bceause im afraid of breaking it (idk, im skeptical i guess) and the weather has been so warm here that putting the heater into the water wont turn it on.
catsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 05:20 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yes, there is a small orange light. I position all my Hydor's (that's all I use practically) horizontally to evenly heat my small tanks. They are fully submersible and won't break in cooler water.

I still keep my heater's in for the most part and just keep them set to 78 or so for the summer time just to ensure my temp doesn't drop below 78 at least. Although, just because you set it at 78, doesn't always mean it will be at 78, this goes for almost all heater's not just Hydor. This is why having a thermometer is important, because heating a 1 gallon versus a 5.5 gallon is a big difference. The heater may overcompensate and heat more than 78 in a 1 gallon but stay steady at 78 in a 5.5, so definitely use a thermometer and adjust your heater accordingly from there.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 05:25 PM   #3 
catsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Yes, there is a small orange light. I position all my Hydor's (that's all I use practically) horizontally to evenly heat my small tanks. They are fully submersible and won't break in cooler water.

I still keep my heater's in for the most part and just keep them set to 78 or so for the summer time just to ensure my temp doesn't drop below 78 at least. Although, just because you set it at 78, doesn't always mean it will be at 78, this goes for almost all heater's not just Hydor. This is why having a thermometer is important, because heating a 1 gallon versus a 5.5 gallon is a big difference. The heater may overcompensate and heat more than 78 in a 1 gallon but stay steady at 78 in a 5.5, so definitely use a thermometer and adjust your heater accordingly from there.
I did emerge the heater in lukewarm water hoping it would do something but since none of the AC is installed in the house (yet) i guess maybe my sense of hot and cold was a little off.. I didnt see the heater's light turn on.. I guess i will remove it from the tank to test it in colder water or something.
I have a thermometer in the current empty tank (for the hydor heater) and it reads a little high since it is.. annoyingly warm at the moment.. my other tank (same size with 25w marina heater) i saw turn on... once.. in the middle of the night like last week when it was a bit cooler. xD so testing this heater in an empty tank totally sucks in the heat.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:31 PM   #4 
catsie

Okay silly question number one solved. I cranked up the temperature a bit in a cup of cool water and i did see the light go off.
then lowered the temperature back down before re-adjusting it into the tank and wow. The heater was hot to the touch.
Im sure its because i obnoxiously turned the heat up.. past the high 80s.
Current dial is set at around.. 75-78 degrees.. leading to my second silly question..
I didnt scald my hand or anything ofcourse but this heater like all other aquarium heaters wont hurt my fish, right?
Old 05-26-2015, 05:57 PM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah, it won't hurt your fish. It will be hot at first when it's constantly heating at the beginning but it won't do that all the time. It never get's scalding hot though, that'd be silly for a heater with live animals, especially curious ones.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:24 PM   #6 
catsie

:D that is great to know, and yes! It would be silly but.. i guess it makes me feel better to know than to wonder no matter how absurd my questions are xD.
wouldnt want a poor betta getting hurt just because of its curiousity.