Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-18-2010, 10:33 PM   #11 
Iamtracy

Nice pictures... all of them!
Iamtracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:56 PM   #12 
1fish2fish

LOL.. I wouldn't mind having two rats (or bunnies).. even more than one hamster.. but I have to wait until I'm out of the Dorms.. nothing but fish tanks allowed :p

ETA: Snuggly rats.. soo cute.. they kind of remind me of my cat Malo and his friend Katie
Hope you don't mind ;)

Last edited by 1fish2fish; 02-18-2010 at 11:07 PM.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:52 PM   #13 
dramaqueen
Banned

My mother would absolutely DIE of a heart attack if I ever brought a rat into the house! I think they're cute and I've heard that they are wonderful pets and are very affectionate.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:01 AM   #14 
doggyhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
My mother would absolutely DIE of a heart attack if I ever brought a rat into the house! I think they're cute and I've heard that they are wonderful pets and are very affectionate.
LOL mine too. :P My sister would freak too..
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:29 AM   #15 
RKbusy

Awwwwww. Cuddly kitties! So cute! I don't mind cats at all! Some cats actually get along with rats. It's the snake-owners who feed live that I have issues with *shakes fist*

Lots of people seem to think that rats are these disgusting, disease-ridden pests, but that's completely wrong. They're clean, intelligent, very hardy and they make incredible pets! (Well, I'm sort of biased here since I rescue rats...) But yeah. LOL. They take a lot more work than people expect though. More like taking care of a dog than taking care of a pocket pet. And OMG, vet bills are THROUGH THE ROOF. And of course, the pay off is that they are affectionate and bond very closely to their humans!

p.s. I've decided to name the perdy betta-boy Draken. ^_^ He'll be a super coolio peach-coloured/orange betta! :P

Last edited by RKbusy; 02-19-2010 at 01:42 AM.
RKbusy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 05:57 AM   #16 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKbusy View Post
Thanks! He is super pretty isn't he? *proud mama moment*

And ammonia poisoning? Could it be because of before? When he was in the bowl? (that was only about 3 days ago). And what can I do to help him get better? Change the water more often? I'm doing 50% water changes every 3rd day right now. I use bottled water (I buy it in bulk, since my other pets drink it and I don't trust tap water) and Big Al's water conditioner.

But is he supposed to be that colour? Or shouldn't he be darker? Like... more red?

Also, I'm already shocked at how active he is! I'm used to my rats and the hamster, who sleep all day and is only super active after night fall. But this little guy's been zooming around... ALL DAY! LOL. I keep seeing movement out of the corner of my eye and am pleasantly shocked. :)

And then there's my rats. Who are curious about the sudden movement INSIDE the tank now too!
It could just be his coloring but just thought I should point it out. Just keep his water super clean (like you have been). You might consider using tap water instead of bottled water too. There are minerals in tap water that are necessary for ph and hardness levels. Just add the water conditioner to it and you'll be all set. And you should buy a liquid test kit (API freshwater master kit recommended) so you can monitor your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph levels.

Good luck.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 05:58 AM   #17 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Quote:
^_^ Wow! This forum is active! Which is really nice! Orange would be nice. Peachy is nice too. And wow, that other Betta has like... a PERFECTLY oval tail! LOL. My guy's tail just looks like a bunch of streamers.

As for the name, going along with the theme of snakes/dragons, maybe Naga? Drakon? Drachon? (Dragon in Gaelic, Bulgarian, and some other language). What do you think?

@1FISH2FISH: you should totally get a fuzzy! And being the crazy rat/hamster/small pet lady that I am, I just wanted to mention that if you only want ONE fuzzy, you should go with the teddy bear hamster (which is a type of Syrian hamster/blackbear hamster/long-haired hamster - all the same thing). They are solitary creatures. Bunnies and DEFINITELY rats MUST be kept in same-sex pairs.

Unlike Syrians and Male Bettas, rats can't live without the LUV ;P

This is one of the cutest pictures I've ever seen!!!
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:51 AM   #18 
1fish2fish

Quote:
Awwwwww. Cuddly kitties! So cute! I don't mind cats at all! Some cats actually get along with rats. It's the snake-owners who feed live that I have issues with *shakes fist*

Lots of people seem to think that rats are these disgusting, disease-ridden pests, but that's completely wrong. They're clean, intelligent, very hardy and they make incredible pets! (Well, I'm sort of biased here since I rescue rats...) But yeah. LOL. They take a lot more work than people expect though. More like taking care of a dog than taking care of a pocket pet. And OMG, vet bills are THROUGH THE ROOF. And of course, the pay off is that they are affectionate and bond very closely to their humans!

p.s. I've decided to name the perdy betta-boy Draken. ^_^ He'll be a super coolio peach-coloured/orange betta! :P
I like Draken.. very cool name.

People who feed live rats and mice freak me out too. I love snaikes but that is the sole reason I will never have one.

My cat (the grey and white one) would probably want to chase the rat/hamster/bunny around but he wouldn't kill it. One time he knocked over a betta bowl and when I came in he was just staring at the fish flailing around in the inch of water left in the bowl (that was fish in my siggy.. he obviously survived LOL). I actually thought for a long time about getting a ferret to play with Malo.. but they seem to be pretty pricey on upkeep.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:17 AM   #19 
kpullen89

Your betta looks gorgeous! Interesting coloring! Reminds me of a betta I had named Champagne Supernova. I LOVE your rats! I used to have rats of my own, they are so intelligent and make awesome pets. Good luck with your new betta!
kpullen89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:19 PM   #20 
Jupiter

Very pretty boy! Looove that long tail. How about Cyrano for a name? :)

His colouring is normal. I have a white-ish/peach boy too. Sounds like he's perking up though! Might become a little more vibrant.

And your rats are adorable!
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote