Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-19-2010, 12:50 AM   #1 
ScuitoAmi150

Question Feeding the sorority?

I just added the girls to the sorority tank yesterday. They are all getting along great. At feeding time I can feed three of the four equally. But the fourth, Zeta, likes to explore around the bottom (not slide along the bottom) whereas the other three like to be near the top.

I can't feed Zeta because of this. & if I take her out of the tank and into a little bowl to feed her, she is too busy panicking to eat. I tried enticing her with bloodworms tonight, it caught her attention & she bit at it a couple of times. But her mouth is really small & she can't eat them, they are too big.

How can I feed her? Should I try flakes? I don't think those will get her attention though.
ScuitoAmi150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:28 PM   #2 
Jupiter

I had this problem with Tippy. She was used to searching the gravel for food when i bought her, so she wouldn't eat at the top at all. Sometimes when I fed them brineshrimp, she would eat it.

I would just put a few extra pellets discreetly in a corner by the filter and wait for them to sink. She was always quite pudgy, so i assume that she was eating them as they sank.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:08 PM   #3 
ScuitoAmi150

I'll try that! Delta is my pudgy girl. This morning Zeta was near the top so I put some by her and took the fish net and pushed backed the other girls. She tried to eat it a couple of times, but I think it was too big for her.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:25 AM   #4 
AlexXx

I had this problem too with a few, i would take them out a few times a week to make sure they got a serving.
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 01:51 AM   #5 
Tinthalas Tigris

Yeah, my sorority of bettas are very selfish ladies.

If they start getting pudgy, I will remove them from the tank and put them in a cup while the other inhabitants of the tank eat.

My Molly is starting to emulate them, and now I think I'm going to have to start removing her from the tank as well.

Part of the betta pecking order is their eating, and you will end up with a runt in the aquarium.

Easier than the cup method I use, I've read that putting your ladies in a fry/breeding box and encouraging them that way (they will soon see getting into it as a reward), will insure that Zeta can be given some extra time to find her food before the others are let back out.
Tinthalas Tigris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 05:56 AM   #6 
ScuitoAmi150

I tried keeping her in a cup last night (floating in the water) with some pellets in it so she could eat, she ended up jumping out of the cup. Woke up this morning and she was swimming with the rest of the girls.