Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-19-2010, 01:35 AM   #1 
Meg215

Help! Something seriously wrong with Walter!

Ok this has all happened pretty quick. I came home and fed Walter a half hour ago. Mom said he wouldnt come out of his plant to eat. He took one bite and started swimming really erratically.Darting & Bobbing his head up out of the water really quickly. His swimming was wobbly and then he went up into his plant and floated to the surface on his side with his whole head out of the water!

I quickly took him out and put him in clean water with some aquarium salt. I think his heater was too hot for him. He has always seemed to prefer cooler water but tonight with the heat from our home on along with his heater made his water 80-81 degrees. It felt really warm to the touch. Now that hes in his temp tank he is sitting at the bottom and has to swim realy fast and wobbly to the top gasps for air quickly then sinks immediatley like someting is pulling him down. He's sorta of laying on his side now and breathing very heavily.

Is he just dying? Is there something I can do? Please help me I'm so attached to him and im crying at the thought of him dying!!
Meg215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:42 AM   #2 
GawfFish

Does he look bloated? I'm new, but to me it sounds like it could be Swim Bladder Disease.
GawfFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 02:10 AM   #3 
Meg215

Thats what I thought but he doesnt look bloated at all and it happened so suddenly. I dont know. =( I took out some water from the bowl he is in now so he doesnt have to swim far to get air but it really seems like he cant breathe well.

Does swim bladder affect breathing too? I thought it just messed with their ability to swim correctly but he is really seeming like he cant get enough air. Gah this is so frustrating! =(
Old 02-19-2010, 11:06 AM   #4 
Meg215

Can anyone help....please?
Old 02-19-2010, 07:35 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Could anything have gotten in his water? Were any sprays or aerosols sprayed around his tank? Thats thhe only thing I can think of. You did put water conditioner in the water the last time you changed it, didn't you? I'm sorry if I'm not helping much.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:30 PM   #6 
Meg215

Well he's dead so I guess it doesnt matter anymore. :( But I did ask everyone if they sprayed anything but no one went near him.

I'm so sad. I dont want to flush him! :(
Old 02-19-2010, 09:27 PM   #7 
1fish2fish

I'm sorry you lost him. If it makes you feel better I've always buried my bettas. It sounds stupid but I can't stand to flush them so I wrap them in paper towels and dig them a little grave. I've only had 2 fish funerals so far but they've both been buried.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:41 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm so sorry! I wish we could have helped more.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:46 PM   #9 
xgoingdownx

So sorry to hear about your betta. :( Like 1fish2fish, I also buried all of my fish [well, my dad did].
xgoingdownx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 01:04 AM   #10 
GawfFish

Oh no! I'm so sorry for your loss, Meg215!
GawfFish is offline   Reply With Quote