Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-02-2014, 11:51 PM   #1 
jadaBlu

Have you bought a feeder goldfish? How did it go?

I've seen suggestions not to buy feeder goldfish due to weak genetics and disease potential. I had a goldfish that was a feeder that lived for 3 years. I had her in a bowl but I didn't know any better. I imagine she would have lived longer had I known what her needs were. There again she had SBD pretty bad. I once took her to work in a shallow dish and hid her to make sure she stayed in a position to survive. She recovered from SPD several times with me worrying over her I have 29 gallon with no fish in it. Quite honestly some fish died in the tank from fungus which I feel originated either from a betta log (it was growing inside and I didn't know it) or a mystery snail in the tank which also had a fungus. The tank has been empty of fish for a few months there are malaysian trumphet snails in the tank that are doing well and seed shrimp and plants. I hate to kill everything and take it down. So I've thought about death row feeder goldfish.

I have been tempted to get one. They are 15 cents at Petco they say they are comets but I think they are mixed type goldfish. I figure I could pre-treat for disease before I put it in the tank and Lifeguard the tank. I might save a fish but there again the latent fungus might still be in the tank. Any thoughts on this?
Can a comet type goldfish live alone and be happy or another? I'd get two but I don't think 29 gallons would be sufficient for two goldfish.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:17 AM   #2 
Kaynbred

I had a tank full of feeder goldfish (Wait, do comets count as feeder goldfish as well?) And there was no disease at all. They all lived in a 50 gallon tank (there was 6 of them) and they were all bought at different times. They were very cute, fun fish and they lived for about 5 years (except a couple died after about 2-3 years)
So, I definitely say, go for it! I personally adore owning feeder goldfish and have always had great experiences.
Kaynbred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:26 AM   #3 
jadaBlu

Feeder goldfish will be small and in a severly overcrowded tank and cheap. They normally are labeled that way. People buy them to feed to carnivorous fish or to let their kids stick in a fish bowl so their chances of living a long life are not good. There is some chance the goldfish could get a disease by being put in the 29 gallon if it didn't die off once the previous fish were removed. I might be saving it, I might not.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:42 AM   #4 
Kaynbred

Okay well then 4 of mine were feeder goldfish, two others were comets. So yeah, I stick with what I said then lol.
Kaynbred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:44 AM   #5 
PoissonsMom

I have a feeder goldfish that my son dubbed "Orange Bacon". We have had him for about 2mo now, and he seems to be very active & healthy.... Even greets everyone in sight at the front corner of his tank (it's triangular), at any given time, like he's starving!! He/she is a bit of a pig tho, and I have 2 watch that my hubby & son don't feed him again if he's already been fed. We used 2 have a calico fan-tail, Captain Jack, that was accidentally killed w/ kindness, by my inexperienced fishkeeper hubby I'm sure if u decide 2 get some, feeder fish will be just as nice a tank addition as the more expensive goldfish! As with any new fish, monitor them closely & treat immediately if u see any signs of disease. Good luck with ur new venture!!
PoissonsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:45 AM   #6 
PoissonsMom

Anyone know how 2 determine gender in a goldfish (feeders, shebunkin & comets particularly?)
PoissonsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 02:17 PM   #7 
Sabina88

I personaly have 2 in a 50 gallon. But in all honestly they techniqly are pond fish and easily have the potential to grow a foot long if given the chance. But they are a pleasure to have. If properly cared for they can live up 10 years depending on curcomstances. If you do plan on getting one a good rule of thumb to follow if they will be living in a aquarium is 40 gallons for 1 feeder goldfish and an extra 10-20 gallons for every additional, so for 1 feeder you would need 40 gallons, for two 50 gallons.
Feeder/long bodied goldfish are aqtualy quite hardy and don't need a heater, but they do need a good filter as they are messy fish and produce a lot of ammonia.
Good luck with what ever you decide :)
Sabina88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 02:20 PM   #8 
Sabina88

Theres no good way to tell gender in feeders or shubunkins. And almost imposible until they are sexually mature. Where the males may or may not have breeding tubricals but those are also not definite as sometimes they may have a lot or a little or non at all and on the rare occasion females will get them too.
Ill add more info latter when I have some free time
Old 04-06-2014, 02:29 PM   #9 
BettaNubRandyLove

I have a "feeder" goldfish that I got recently. He is shy, scared of people, has swim bladder problems, and probably internal parasites. But I love his awkwardness.
BettaNubRandyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 02:35 PM   #10 
Sabina88

Aww poor guy,
What do you feed him